Christians celebrate through song and prayer

By Abby Cianciolo
    Photography Editor

Wednesday morning, thirty plus Westford Academy students stood at the front of the building surrounding the flag pole. Onlookers were confused on what was going on, but those who were there knew very well what was going on, See You at the Pole Day 2012.

See You at the Pole is a national organization that encourages Christian students to meet on the last Wednesday of September, to pray over the nation, school, and students. It was started twenty years ago in public schools all around the United States.

“I am so glad this many people showed up…the numbers more than doubled from last year,” says Junior Becca Corbett, who co-organized the event.

Students gathered at the flag pole to celebrate See You at the Pole on Wednesday.

The program is spread through word of mouth, churches, and social media sites such as Facebook. Over 2 million students participate in the event each year, and about thirty of those came from Westford Academy on Wednesday.

The event was held in the morning, and included singing “Our God is Greater” by Chris Tomlin, led by Anna Gould, Becca Corbett and Shirley Ge. A brief time of prayer was held that was focused on praying for the nation, school, and the Westford Academy students.

“The number of denominations and churches represented was really surprising,” said freshman, Brian Warner, who participated in the event. Warner added, “It was great to see so many kids gathering around to proclaim their faith in front of the school”.

All those who participated that morning hope that the numbers will continue to increase with the coming years, and that their actions will inspire others to realize the amount of Christians there are in the halls of Westford Academy.