New sportscasters entertain WA

By Kathleen McAleese
Features Editor

Fridays have been anticipated for the entire week among WA students for countless years and this year will be no different. The last day of the week is a source of relief from the hard work all week, and Friday mornings may just provide some comic relief as well.

Evan Monoxelos and Danny Cerullo, both seniors, have taken on the daunting task of being the new sportscasters for WABC. Every Friday morning, these two boys will entertain the school and talk about the sports events that occurred earlier in the week.

Monoxelos and Cerullo fell upon their job at the first football game; no one had taken on the task, and they were eager to start. After asking Dean Betsy Murphy, the two boys started the next Friday.

After being broadcasted in front of the entire school, “It wasn’t as weird as we expected,” said Monoxelos.

The main thing for the boys to improve upon from the first shooting was their timing.

Their debut in television did not turn out quite how they expected it would though. A totally new experience, Monoxelos and Cerullo got a lot of hand waving from Mr. Miller, the adviser of WABC (Westford Academy Broadcasting Club), urging them to wrap it all up.

Although the boys are under Miller’s advisement, “they really do their own thing. They just bring whatever information they want to present and that’s what we do,” said Miller.

The boys, compared to other WA sportscasters in the past, felt the pressure. Receiving mixed reviews from their peers, “We definitely needed to be funnier”, the two agreed.

For the boys, there is a lot of pressure to be up to par to the years past.

“We got mixed reviews,” said Monoxelous.

The two expect that the weeks to come will be better.

Although the two are under  pressure from the amounts of criticisms that they face, they have several surprises planned, including covering several new sports that other sportscasters have yet to fully cover.

“Get ready for a lot of plugs for wrestling,” said Monoxelos. Cerullo nodded, as they are both varsity wrestlers.

Video By Nicole Souza