Mr. Holbrook joins English team at WA

Jack Holbrook in his classroom.

By Hannah Jacobson, Alok Ganguly, Sam Jackson
Staff Writers

Jack Holbrook is a new teacher in the English department at Westford Academy.

Q: What made you want to work at Westford Academy?

A: I did some of my teacher training here, and when I did I saw what a wonderful place it is and this became my first choice of where I wanted to teach.

Q: What do you like so far about Westford Academy?

A: I really like the great group of students. It’s a wonderful, professional community as well. The faculty, the English department as well, they’re all wonderful. [They’re] very supportive. Everyone has been great.

Q: What do you dislike so far about Westford Academy?

A: Getting up at 5:30 in the morning isn’t very fun. That’s pretty much the only thing.

Q: What goals do you have for yourself and for your classroom?

A: Well for the kids that I teach, I really hope to encourage their critical thinking skills and to encourage them to think out of the box. For me it’s not really about the specific materials that we’re working on, it’s more about the skills behind them and about you going on to be successful, powerfully thinking adults. And for me I’m really interested in helping students get into Shakespeare more easily.

Q: Where have you worked before and how does it compare to working at Westford Academy?

A: The only place other than here that I’ve really spent a lot of time at is Burlington High School which you may know has a one-on-one plan. All the students have their own iPad, and the idea is that they’re stepping away from written materials, and working more so that you’d have books on the iPad, which is a very forward thinking way of going about things. It’s a great school, but obviously that’s different than here. Westford Academy is forward thinking about technology as well in the classroom but that was a very interesting experience.

Q: What caused you to want to teach?

A: I’ve always wanted to teach. I think it’s about encouraging the thirst for, not knowledge, but intellectual curiosity.

Q: What college did you attend?

A: I went to Lesley University. I went for my Masters in Education.

Q: What are some hobbies you have?

A: I wrote a couple books a long time ago. And I really like to spend time with my kids.

Q: Anything you’d like to add?

A: I feel privileged to be [at Westford Academy] and I look forward to teaching here for a long time.