Regatta showcases boatload of talent

By Ellie Smith

On September 16 at 9 a.m., Forge Pond was filled with members of the Westford Academy crew team, people interested in trying crew, and multiple activities that an entire family could enjoy during the 3rd annual Forge Pond Fun Regatta.

The event consisted of 500 meter dashes with three crew boats racing at a time. The boats with the fastest times went on to the finals. The winners of the finals went on to the grand finals, and the boats that were triumphant in that race won medals.

This yearly event could keep a family entertained for the entire day. The small sandy beach was packed with areas for face painting, hair beading, rowing machines, a live band,  an obstacle course and a refreshments table.

According to the head coach of the team Eddie Bruce, the event is not only a fundraiser, but a way to teach the public how to row and to get involved in the sport.

“I would like to inspire a lot of people to continue to row and to want to find out more about the sport,” said Bruce.

Bruce has a lot of experience with rowing, as he has been a coach for 4 years and has participated in crew for 9 years. He enjoys many aspects of the sport.

“I enjoy everything that comes out of it; whether it be that your fitness increases, or the fact that I have met so many people in the sport that have changed my life,” said Bruce. “There are communities that have been established that I never knew existed. You establish what I like to call a tribe where everybody helps each other out.”

The Westford Academy crew team members were helpful to the public as they juggled mingling with the participants, leading dynamic stretching, and supervising activities like face painting and the obstacle course.

Among the team members was one of the  team captains Lauren Smith, a junior at Westford Academy. After tearing her ACL three times, she was not able participate in soccer any longer. During  the spring of her freshman year, she decided to try crew.

“I like the team aspect,” said Smith. “By the end of the season, you know everyone and are friends with all of them.”