Peraner promoted to office role

Peraner at work.

By Nicole Souza, Alex Gounaris, and Victoria Walker
Staff Writers

Well known substitute teacher Cynthia Peraner is now a financial administrative assistant for Westford Academy.

Q: What made you come to WA?

A: “I wanted something to do while my kids were in school, and I thought [substitute teaching] was a great job because the hours were perfect.” Mrs. Peraner entered Westford Academy after two years of being a substitute teacher elsewhere. After temporarily subbing at WA, she requested a permanent substitute teaching position at the high school, her reason being, “I loved the kids, I really enjoyed you guys.” Peraner now works in the main office, alongside another fairly new employee, Hilary Langille.

Q: What are your favorite, and least favorite, aspects of  Westford Academy?

A: “It’s gonna sound so cheesy, but there’s nothing I don’t like…I love the atmosphere, I love the energy, I love seeing you guys everyday.” There were only lovely things to be said about WA, despite one downside, “I do miss subbing though, I miss being in the classroom with [the students]…but I love being in the office.”

Q: What lifestyle changes have you had to make to accommodate your new position in the main office?

A: Getting up earlier, my goal is to beat Mr. Parent here one morning. I’m going to do it.

Q: Has anyone been a mentor to you since you started working in the office?

A: Mrs. Parke and Mrs. Langille have been so supportive. They’re welcoming, it’s really nice.

Q: What’s your life like outside of Westford Academy?

A: Peraner’s youngest son, Reed Peraner, just graduated WA this past year, leaving her with a slight case of empty nest syndrome. “Going out for dinner…” she says, followed by laughter, “as long as I don’t have to cook, I’ll go anywhere.” Dining out isn’t her only past time, Peraner is also an avid movie goer, and enjoys scrap booking as well as reading, citing Jodi Picoult as one of her favorite authors.

Q: What was your high school experience like?

A: Attending Natick High School, Peraner described herself as, “very, very quiet… I was kinda shy.” Peraner also took part in student council. Her time studying business at New Hampshire college (now known as Southern New Hampshire University) seemed to be a better time for Peraner, “I think I enjoyed college more than high school… I had a great time there… I wasn’t shy in college.”

Q: Are you familiar with the students and/or staff at Westford Academy?

A: “I have an advantage at my job now, I’ve subbed for many years here, I got to know a lot of the teachers.” When asked about how comfortable she was at her new job, Peraner said she was adjusting well.

Q: Do you plan on making your current job a long term career?

A: Peraner expressed full interest in the long haul for her new position in the main office. When asked about her goals, she states, “I’m hoping the children and the parents feel comfortable coming into the office and approaching me. That’s really important to me.” According to Peraner, she did not plan on working in a high school setting, but “things just escalated” once she became involved with Westford Academy, and lead to her current position in finances.

View Comments (1)