Welcoming Mr. Culhane

Mr. Culhane is a self described “computer geek” and enjoys video games.

By Jenny Watts, John Devereaux, and Kai-Lou Yue
Staff Writers

Patrick Culhane is new to the social studies department this year.

Q: What made you want to come to WA?

A: The atmosphere here at WA. Once I saw an opening, I definitely wanted to apply here. Honestly, it was a job. I was going to apply anywhere in Massachusetts. The school was roughly close to me and it was the atmosphere that I wanted.

Q: How does this compare to other jobs you’ve had?

A: It’s definitely a big change.

Q: What experience made you want to become a teacher? Why did you choose history?

A: There’s a drive to continue learning and to better yourself because you are responsible for your classroom. There is always a need to put your best foot forward. There was a sophomore history teacher that I had in high school and I was a big fan of him. That teacher inspired me to start my own reading. In college it was my favorite subject.

Q: Did you know anybody at the school when you applied for the job? Do you have any history with WA?

A: Nope, but the department has been very kind to me. I know that this school was one of the first high schools in the country. I knew what the population would be like, but nothing specific.

Q: What sort of goals do you wish to achieve this year?

A: Always number one is student success, to appreciate and some sort of understanding of history. I always want to be part of the community as well.

Q: So far, what are your most favorite part of the job?

A: It’s always the kids, and the interaction.

Q: Least favorite part of the job?

A: Honestly, I do not enjoy correcting that much. If I could have someone input the grades for me that would be wonderful.

Q:  Has this job facilitated a change in your lifestyle? Have you had to move?

A: No it hasn’t, but I’m probably going to [move] closer to Westford. The drive is close to 25 minutes to a half hour long. I have to wake up earlier though.  Nothing drastic so far.

Q: What sort of hobbies do you participate in outside of school?

A: Soccer. I’m very much into athletics and I like to run. I play in adult leagues. I enjoy computer games, like Skyrim, and RPG games. Yes, I would say I am a “computer geek.” Like the desktop that I have right now I built by myself. I ordered all the parts and I put it together.

Q: Do you plan on teaching for the rest of your life? If not, what do you plan to do?

A: Well, yes. My girlfriend will always make more money than I will because she’s a physical therapist. Hopefully at some point, she’ll make so much money that I can retire and take care of the kids. Don’t get me wrong, I love this job, I really do.

Q: What is your family like? Do they live near you?

A: Because I don’t have enough money yet, I still live with my mother and sister. My grandparents live in an in-law apartment connected to my house. My dad lives in Baltimore, Maryland and my brother lives in Columbia, Maryland, which is right in between Baltimore and Washington D.C.  My brother moved because of his job as an engineer for the government.