Send off to the class of 2012

By Ethan Walshe
Managing Editor

On the evening of Friday, June 1, Westford Academy celebrated its graduation ceremonies for the class of 2012. The accomplishments of the 404 graduates were recognized and they received their high school diplomas on a mostly sunny evening on Alumni Field.

Families of graduates began arriving at around four p.m. and quickly filled Alumni Field to its maximum capacity. By five, deans, guidance counselors, and teachers filed in and shortly afterwards the class of 2012 entered the field to the traditional “Pomp and Circumstance” and the proud gazes of many a parent.

After the National Anthem, principal James Antonelli approached the podium to give his speech. In addition to recognizing all of the hard work of the graduates, he also acknowledged the five teachers who would be retiring from WA after 177 years of combined teaching service: science teachers Paul Poisson and Jim Casserly, math teacher Joseph Spadano, social studies teacher Ed Scollan, and German teacher Mike Joyce. Antonelli shared a quote from each of the retirees in his speech. They were as follows:

“Life can be difficult. Learn something everyday to help you succeed in it’s challenges.” ~Jim Casserly

Live life to the absolute fullest, laugh fro your heart with genuine emotion, love with a genuine spirit of kindness, and be true to yourself. Be someone you would like.” ~Joseph Spadano

“Take all you can from Westford Academy. The more you take, the better off you’ll be in college and in life.” ~Paul Poisson

“Always ask questions. And then listen.” ~Mike Joyce

“Take care of your memories, for you cannot relive them.” ~Ed Scollan, channeling Bob Dylan.

Immediately following the words of Mr. Antonelli, guidance counselors Susan Lynch and Wendy Pechacek recognized the achievements of the salutatorian and valedictorian, Nathan Giacolone and Alex Lee respectively. Both women spoke highly of the graduates in their remarks.

The class officers, president Richa Kaul, vice president Jessica Bishop, treasurer Sandeep Garikapaty, and secretary Brendan Sullivan then presented gifts to the class advisors, English teacher Lynn Bonakdar and gym teacher Maria Henderson. The two received gift cards to Moodz Spa in Acton while Bonakdar also received a toy set for her soon to be newborn son and Henderson received a gift card to One Stop Shop.

Class speaker Stephanie Gagnon presented her speech soon afterwards. In it, Gagnon centered her ideas around a quote from her freshman history teacher: “if you live in a barrel, the whole world looks the same.” She spoke of the change that every graduate has gone through over the past four years of their high school careers, the memories they have made and the road ahead. Many in the audience were moved by her words.

Westford Academy Board of Trustees members then presented the awards for Most Worthy Representative and academic excellence awards. The Most Worthy Representatives this year were freshmen Alexa Popp and James Antonelli, sophomores Renee Craig and Ben Borodawka, juniors Taylor Freud and Michael Murphey and seniors Alexandria Caron and Thomas Yorke.

Following the awards, Superintendent of Schools Everett “Bill” Olsen approached the podium to present his congratulatory remarks to the class of 2012. He spoke of how their achievements made WA the great institution that it is, how they will all succeed in their futures and the pride that he and the community at large felt about their accomplishments.

And then, the moment everyone had been waiting for: the presentation of diplomas to the graduates of the class of 2012. Cheers rose from the crowd as each of the 404 graduates filed onto the stage to receive their diplomas as their names were announced over the loud speakers. Air horns, car engines, and even vuvuzelas could be heard amongst the onlookers as their children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, and friends’ names were called.

After everyone had received their diplomas, the class band came forward to perform their class songs: “Tattoos on This Town” by Jason Aldean and “Dancing in the Moonlight” by King Harvest. Everyone rose to their feet and moved to the music as it resonated into the night sky.

To close the ceremonies, a teary eyed class president Richa Kaul took to the podium to address her classmates. She spoke of how she thought it would be impossible to summarize the events of the past four years of their lives, as far too many things had happened to each and everyone one of them to make them into the person they are today. Many people joined her in becoming teary eyed as she spoke. To close, she and her other 403 classmates moved the tassle to the other side of their cap before throwing them into the sky.

View Westford Academy Class of 2012 Destinations in a larger map