Pursuit of the Perfect Prom

by Abby Cianciolo

Photo Editor

Prom, the most amazing night of any high school senior’s life. However these days the amazing “wow” factor has been drastically changed. Dresses have gotten tighter and smaller, while the overall experience has gotten bigger.

Girls now spend all day and several weeks before planning and getting ready to look perfect for the one night. But have they started to go too far? At both prom and cotillion girls have been stepping out in very mature style this year.

A common aspect that was seen was the use of fake tanning, whether it be spray tanned or from a tanning bed. Although not everyone is as tan as the supermodels who displayed their dresses, the need to utilize so many tanning procedures seemed unnecessary. Now a little bit of an extra tan is not necessarily a bad thing, the main concern is the girls who go overboard, those commonly referred to as “practically orange”.

Following this year’s trends, it appears that less is more when it comes to the prom dresses. There are many lovely, modest dresses in beautiful colors and patterns. On the other hand, there are a large amount of dresses that have seemed to significantly hold back on fabric.

Backless dresses were a hit this year amongst the girls. While they are a classy choice for Hollywood actresses, when placed on high school girls they look a bit too mature. Cutouts were also hot this year in many of the dresses. Some dresses looked all right with the cutouts, but some dresses seemed like there were more cutouts than actual dress.

Pair this with the acrylic nails, colored hair, and a whole lot of diamond accessories and you have yourself a prom style Barbie. I do understand that prom is the one night that every girl can step out in their best attire and feel beautiful. However, after all the additions, how much of their true, inner beauty can they really display?