Finding happiness on the run

By Alexander Lee
Editor-In-Chief

I find myself thinking a lot about my life when I’m running. On a hot summer day when the dry August sun warms my back, I usually like to go for a four or five mile jog.

Westford has a really peaceful environment. The nature trails surrounding WA wind through our town’s endless woods, which make for a pleasant, scenic experience.

When running, all my senses become more in tune with the setting around me. The trees breathe the fragrance of the wild. The bugs buzz, and the birds chirp. A single wispy cloud moves gradually across the paint-blue sky.

Despite my fatigue, I always notice these little things on runs. I see life a lot more clearly, both in the environment and within.
These runs induce a significant amount of introspection. I always find myself questioning my actions: what I did and why I did it.
I follow the school of thought in which the ultimate purpose of life is happiness. If I begin to understand that I’m doing something that won’t make me happy in the short-run and possibly not in the long run, I look for solutions.

Too often people get caught up in what they began, and somewhere along the way they completely lose focus on what they were heading towards.
People do things because other people will say it will lead to happiness. With blind faith, they waste precious minutes in their lives on what they later look upon as trivial matters.

I believe that we should all evaluate the ultimate purpose of our actions. If we’re not headed towards long-term happiness, then why even bother. Why suffer.

You only live once and you’re only young once. Go out and try new things. Don’t be afraid to take chances.

You don’t want to be old and realize that you could have been happier. That feeling of regret and bitterness alone would be lethal.

Live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.

It is when I’m running that these kinds of realizations come to me.

You may find it easiest when swimming, watching TV, or even just lying down. Whatever the case, self-comprehension is essential to long term happiness.
Living each day with an understanding of your actions and aspirations will lead to a fuller, happier existence