Carlyle leads boys’ lacrosse

By: Kyle Auger

Sports Editor

Carlyle during the game against Concord-Carlisle

Skyrocketing at over six feet, Cameron Carlyle certainly has an intimidating exterior, however he is more than just size, he is extremely skilled and is a good leader.

The team is definitely talented and at this point of the year the lacrosse boys are looking towards the playoffs.

One of the best aspects of the team is leadership and Carlyle, being a captain leads his colleagues with class and team spirit. He also is gifted with one of the best attributes an effective leader can possess, unselfishness.

“My personal goals are all team oriented, the 1st being to win the DCL, the next goal is to make a good run in playoffs hopefully continuing into the state championship.” said Carlyle.

Those goals are realistic, as the team is extremely talented, with skill all over the field, starting from goalie all the way to attack the team is stocked with great players

“Cam Carlyle is the corner stone of the WA Defense.  In every game we can neutralize our opponents strength by using Cam to cover their best attackman.” said coach Matt Tholander.

With Carlyle the team is winning at an impressive pace, and the future is bright for them, with underclassmen rising through the ranks that are hungry for the highest level.

Despite his previously mentioned frame he is much more than just a enforcer.

“He is clearly a big strong player, but he also has remarkable quickness and agility –  making him one of the best on ball defenders in the state.  Great defense requires hard work and constant communication.” said coach Tholander.

The lacrosse team is the one perhaps with the most camaraderie, and that can be attributed to great leadership, and that is often the job of upperclassmen, and specifically captains.

Carlyle is a leader-figure and he is extremely vocal with his teammates.

“ Cam makes sure our defense is working hard and working together.   Cam’s leadership for our defense and our team on and off the field is a huge part of our success this season.” coach Tholander.

Carlyle’s dominance was noticed by college scouts, as he will be attending division III Gettysburg College for the next frontier in his career. His unique combination of speed and size will certainly be a weapon for Gettysburg in the future.

Carlyle said the team’s biggest competition will be Acton-Boxborough and Lincoln-Sudbury, but so far the team has persevered and has earned a place in the playoffs.