Oleanna Darkens Black Box

By Alivia Kilroy

Every year Westford Academy students produce Black Box performances, directed by some of WA’s own. One of these plays this year is Oleanna, written by David Mamet and directed by senior Christina  Hughes.

Oleanna is a dramatic play focused on the power struggle between two characters, teacher and student, and the misinterpretations that happen between them during encounters they have.

Because of its dark themes and occasional difficult dialogue from the performers, this play is intended for a mature audience. The violent ending to the play also directs it toward a more mature audience, with a suggested rating around PG13.

“We just wrapped up the final shows, I was so proud and pleased with the outcome. It was very successful and proved to be a wonderful experience for both the Black Box team and school as a whole,” said Braley Degenhardt, assistant director.

“I have heard many conversations after the show debating audience members’ opinions and this is obviously a positive reaction, seeing as our main goal as artists is to provoke a response from our audiences.” Degenhardt said when asked about the overall outcome of the play.

Oleanna was well cast. Sophomore Renee Craig as Carol, the student, gave a stunning, impeccable performance, making the audience feel as if though this was an actual experience she was going through.

Freshman Thomas Mitsock played John, the teacher figure. He fit the role perfectly, asserting his power and making the storyline run smoothly and quite believably.

Overall, Oleanna was well produced and was an enjoyable show to watch.