WAGB trumps LS

by James Knowles
Staff-Writer

Confidence and adrenaline pumping, the undefeated Varsity Girls’ Basketball team got on the bus at 3:45 to travel all the way to rival team’s home turf, Lincoln-Sudbury.

“This is going to be our year,” senior captain Asia Ewing states before the game. “We have a stacked team and we all know how each other plays. We have a huge advantage going into LS.”

Coach Coward concurred with Ewing’s statement.

“We have been training hard and everyone has poured themselves into the game. All we can do is be optimistic,” said Coward.

The game starts off tough with Lincoln Sudbury’s defense defending the posts, Ewing was able to dribble past ten points for WA. With fellow seniors Erica Wright and Becca Webb adding another ten points to the scoreboard.

Lincoln-Sudbury’s Amelia Murray was only able to get eight points past WA’s Lauren Gallant and Suzanne Parker.

Second half rolled in and right away Westford could be seen playing hard with senior Aly Boyle and Ewing getting twenty eight points with the help of junior Rachel Secrist and senior Marissa Malbouef. Lincoln’s Betsy Mahoney and Murray got twenty two points onto the scoreboard.

By the first half WA was winning 48-30.

LS came back stronger in the second half getting thirty points in the third quarter.

WA came back just as strong with Ewing adding another twelve points to the scoreboard along with senior Lauren Napolitana, Wright and Webb adding another twelve points onto the scoreboard with a tied score by the fourth quarter.

Fourth quarter rolled in and everyone was tense. This was it; these final twelve minutes meant a big win or a loss for either team.

With the efforts of Gallant, Malbouef, Ewing and Webb, WA was able to score ten points on LS’s defense, Kelsey Wright and Lauren Jones.

LS scored five points with a final score of 70 – 65. WA was able to bring home a big win with an undefeated record of 3-0.

“Bringing home a win has given all of us a major confidence boost for our games ahead. Now we know how LS plays and we have even more confidence going into games like AB and Newton-South,” said junior player Nicole Morano.