Grey Ghosts tame Tyngsborough Tigers

Captain TJ Jann takes a shot in the first quarter

By Kendall McElroy

The boys varsity basketball team started off the season right with a big win over the Tyngsborough Tigers 97-51 at Wesford Academy on December 11th.

After Westford Academy junior varsity boys basketball team had a solid win over Tyngsborough, more maroon clad fans started to fill the bleachers. Soon after the varsity team came out with energy to upbeat music and started their warm-up.

Each of the starting players were introduced with enthusiasm and as the fans started cheering, “Let’s go Westford!” the Ghosts took a quick lead 6-0. Not even a minute and a half in the game the Tyngsborough coach, Ed Carey, called a time out. Despite Tyngsborough making an impressive three pointer at the last second of the first quarter Westford was still in the lead.

The 2nd quarter seemed to be more of the same with frequent fouls from Tyngsborough. They had seven fouls half way through the 2nd quarter which helped the Ghosts gain points when players like Ryan Jann made their free throw shots. There were also a couple more time outs called by Coach Carey.

Throughout this quarter it became obvious that #13 TJ Jann is a valuable player for Westford with plenty of successful shots and blocks.

By half time WA was in the lead by almost twenty points. After the pep squad did a couple cheers and the band played some songs the game picked up where it had left off.

Towards the end of the third quarter some people in the bleachers noticed that TJ Jann had been on the bench for quite some time, but they ended the third quarter solidly in the lead 49-30.

As WA’s lead gained strength the fans began to get more into it in the fourth quarter and started doing cheers in the bleachers, especially when one WA player stole the ball from Tyngsborough.

Even without their captain the Ghosts were able to maintain their lead and underclassmen like Matt Ellis and Ryan Jann scored some points for their team. As the time ran down and Tyngsborough’s hope of winning diminished with each second, WA’s head coach, Ed Scollan, called out “take your time, take your time” when WA had the ball.

Cheers erupted from the bleachers when the clock hit zero in the fourth quarter making WA’s win official at 97-51.

Next up the boys varsity basketball team will be facing Concord Carlisle in their first away game of their season on December 15th.