Bazaar: The Academy Marketplace

Click here for a video of the Bazaar

By: Radhika Akhil

It was impossible to make a decision about what to buy during the 39th annual Westford Academy Holiday Bazaar on Saturday December 4, 2009, run by the Westford Academy Student Council.

There were 250 vendors, 30 of which were after-school clubs, selling products varying from food to clothes. The International Club decided to do what it had always done every year: to have people pay to jail friends or family.

Looking around the school, it was obvious how much thought, preparation and hard work had been put into running the event smoothly. Student council members, after-school clubs and various stores contributed to the event, making Westford Academy look like an actual marketplace rather than a school.

For example, the Latin Club increased their sales by having a student wear a toga, advertising food, whereas the German Club had music ringing throughout the cafeteria.

Some vendors were New England farmers selling products such as fresh cheese and sweaters.

It was also evident that the customers were beyond satisfied. Many of them had come to shop for Christmas gifts and they certainly were not disappointed. They left with full bags of personalized gifts, including cookies, ornaments and various paraphernalia.

Student council members were present, making sure the event ran smoothly between customers and sellers.

Tyler Kalajian, vice president of student council, has been participating in the bazaar for all 4 years of high school, and has seen many changes throughout. One of the most prominent changes he has seen is the fact that the bazaar “…continues to grow more and more with an increase in crafters, clubs, organizations, and…parking.”

This being the last year of Westford Academy for him, he says, “All I ask for next year, is increasing growth in our bazaar, and those big grins on our customers’ faces with a look of satisfaction streaming across their eyes.”