Future’s “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” brings listeners back to his past sound

Provided by Wikipedia
Official cover for “WE DON’T TRUST YOU”.

On March 22, Future released “WE DON’T TRUST YOU,” a collaborative project with legendary producer, Metro Boomin. This is Future’s second collaborative album in his discography, with his first being with Lil Uzi Vert in 2020’s Pluto x Baby Pluto. “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” contains features from major artists Kendrick Lamar, Playboi Carti, Travis Scott, and Young Thug.

Coming from a Future fan, I was fairly excited for this album when I saw that it was dropping on Friday. I was a little let down by the production of the album though, as I felt that some of the songs sounded too similar and uncreative, but there were a few exceptions. This album sounds like a basic Future album, with typical synth heavy trap beats and auto-tuned vocals.

Some tracks that stood out to me were “Ice Attack”, “Type S***”, “Everyday Hustle”, and “GTA”, as these tracks brought more energy and drove the album in a unique direction.

“Type S***” is my favorite track of the album, with a great vocal performance from Travis Scott and Playboi Carti bringing his new deep voice in his verse. I really enjoyed the back and forth from a gritty, bell-heavy beat to a more melodic chorus performed by Scott. At first, the repetitive lyrics of this song sounded a bit annoying, but honestly it made the song more catchy for me.

“Everyday Hustle” features Rick Ross, and its beat samples Alfreda Brockinton’s “I’ll Wait For You.” I really enjoyed Ross’ verse and the beat switch-up near the end of the track. I honestly wish the switch-up was longer, but Future’s delivery was still good in the short amount of time.

Although it is not my favorite song on the album, “Like That” was the most unique song of the album. The beat’s chorus features a sample from rapper Eazy-E’s song “Eazy-Duz-It.” This song also contains a Lamar feature and his verse was fairly good. Lamar has always been talented when it came to storytelling and word play in his music, and I think he brought that to this song, as well.

The leading track “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” felt boring to me and it sounded like a track Future put in just to have another song in the album. I feel like having a more “cinematic” sounding intro could have hyped up the rest of the album more. An example of a more cinematic sounding intro could be the track “712PM” from Future’s 2022 project “I Never Liked You.” The production of the intro track was lackluster compared to Metro’s usual energetic and unique style of trap beats. A lot of the tracks sounded like throwaways from Future’s 2015 album “DS2,” which led me back to listening to that album instead of this one.

I listen to this album but never remember individual tracks, as most of the songs blended together with a few sticking out. None of the lyrics really stood out to me, it just sounded like typical lyrics from Future, but people don’t really listen to Future’s albums for good lyrics. The features carried some of the songs and Future’s overall delivery sounded very one-toned.

Future should try to experiment more and try new things with his music. Future’s collaborators on his own album have experimented more with their sounds than he has. Scott brought engaging and unique production on his 2023 “UTOPIA” and Playboi Carti switched up from his usual high pitch voice to a low pitch delivery. All of these changes maintained those artist’s core styles but switched it up enough to make the sound feel new again. We have had the same Future for almost his entire discography and I hope he experiments more with the next project.

Overall, this project didn’t really bring anything new to hip-hop or music in general. It is just a decent Future album with a few highlights from the features. The production wasn’t too interesting in some of the songs and Future’s delivery could have been more engaging. This project did not add or take away anything from Future’s discography.

If you like listening to Future’s usual sound, Gunna, or Lil Baby, then I would recommend “WE DON’T TRUST YOU”.

6/10