Special Education teacher Curtis Gekle retiring from WA

Ella DiRuggiero

Mr. Gekle in a classroom.

Ella DiRuggiero, Staff Writer

Working in a school environment is a great experience. Over time, teachers create relationships with students and have the opportunity to watch them grow into young adults. Being a part of a student’s learning experience is a very special opportunity for all teachers, so leaving this environment can be difficult.

After teaching for a total of ten years, Special Education teacher Curtis Gekle has decided it is time for him to retire from WA. For most of his time at WA, Gekle taught freshman math, and worked with juniors and seniors preparing them for their life after high school.

I’ve had many opportunities teaching freshmen and having those same students again as seniors,” Gekle said.“These freshmen arrive in WA a little rambunctious and leave for their Senior Capstones as well-mannered young adults.”

Apart from watching students grow throughout their high school years, Gekle also enjoys watching students accomplish their small but incremental “aha” moments. He also enjoys working with staff, students, and families at WA.

After his retirement, Gekle will not stop working completely, but he will be using his time differently in a post-teaching environment. Gekle said that his life is going to be very different after retirement, given that he has worked continuously since he was 14. 

“Thank you to the students who allowed me to play a small role in their academic life,” Gekle said. “The WA staff and administration have been a pleasure to work with.”