The yearbook is creating lasting memories for staff

The+yearbook+staff+poses+for+a+photo+with+advisor+Gina+Mustoe.+From+left+to+right%2C+Abby+Walsh+%28senior%29%2C+Lauren+Smith+%28senior%29%2C+Mia+Burns+%28senior%29%2C+Giselle+Piedrahita+%28senior%29%2C+Erin+McCarthy+%28senior%29%2C+Kyla+Feliciani+%28senior%29%2C+Liv+Baumert+%28senior%29%2C+Ruby+Krikorian+%28senior%29.+

Saanvi Arora

The yearbook staff poses for a photo with advisor Gina Mustoe. From left to right, Abby Walsh (senior), Lauren Smith (senior), Mia Burns (senior), Giselle Piedrahita (senior), Erin McCarthy (senior), Kyla Feliciani (senior), Liv Baumert (senior), Ruby Krikorian (senior).

Saanvi Arora, Staff Writer

The yearbook is most known for who gets voted “Most Likely to Become Famous” or “Best Dressed”. But behind all the fanfare of superlatives and themes, there is a staff who dedicate their year to creating the book and in the process, creating lasting memories. 

For many, buying a yearbook is a yearly tradition that provides an opportunity of reminiscing on the best moments of the year. The yearbook highlights every individual, but also how Westford Academy has curated a strong community. With pictures of sports games, spirit rallies, and Westford Academy Theater Arts productions, students are able to relive these experiences. 

Over the years, the process of making it has gotten much more simple, with it being completely digital now. Earlier, staff members would have to create templates and a hard copy by hand, and ship it to a printing company. 

However, with the use of a website, the yearbook staff is able to pick a layout, the number of pages, and images from an image library, and then design these pages however they wish. During the time that they spend working on the book, this year’s yearbook staff members have created a bond that makes it feel less like a class, and more like a time to hang out with friends. 

“All the girls are super nice and we talk during class, and it’s just really good.” senior yearbook staff member Giselle Piedrahita said. 

Over the years, the yearbook has created many special memories for its staff members. 

“Last year we had a little holiday party during Christmas, and that was a really nice break from working on [the yearbook],” Piedrahita said.

After being an advisor on the yearbook for the past 15 years, Gina Mustoe has also made many memories.

“One of my favorite memories is when we finally decided to paint our room. […] They were complaining about our room being boring, so I got permission [to paint it],” Mustoe said. “It was great to see how proud they were of it when it was all said and done. Every year, kids will add their own spin to it. […] It’s just an opportunity for them to leave their mark on the building.” 

The groups’ main motivation while producing the yearbook during the year is the anticipation of seeing the kids’ reactions when they first receive their books. 

“Every year, when the boxes come, and you get to open them up and see the fruits of your labor, [and] seeing the kids react that first day when we do distribution [who] are so excited, it just makes it worth it,” Mustoe says. 

So far this year, the yearbook has been going well. According to Mustoe, they are just waiting for life to happen. 

“The yearbook has blossomed into this well-oiled machine, even with the pandemic. I have good people that are committed and have a passion for it,” Mustoe said.