Carolynne Camillieri dives into teaching at WA

Mrs.+Camillieri+in+her+classroom+

Nitya Kaza

Mrs. Camillieri in her classroom

Nitya Kaza, Staff Writer

Carolynne Camillieri, a new physics teacher, joins the WA faculty and science department this year to make learning physics exciting for students.

Q: How has your experience at WA been so far?

A: It’s been amazing. The science department is full of great people. I’ve got classrooms full of great kids. 

Q: What does being a teacher mean to you?

A: I love being a teacher. I love being involved with kids, and I love seeing them succeed. I think that the world needs better people, and that’s why I’m teaching.

Q: What’s your favorite part of teaching physics?

A: We get to play and have fun. I love to go home and when I go for a walk with my brother he asks, ‘what did you do today?’ and I’m like, ‘we threw marbles across the classroom’. I love to oversimplify it for a good joke. But, overall, I like the math and the play of it.

Q: Where did you work before coming to WA?

A: I worked in Nashville, TN before, teaching math. I’ve always taught either math or science in the last 14 years. 

Q: Which college did you graduate from?

A: I got my masters degree [online] from the University of Phoenix, when I was teaching small kids. 

Q: Which grades do you teach right now?

A: I teach juniors and seniors. 

Q: What is the best part of your job?

A: I think the best part of my job is when students understand the material, especially when they’ve been working so hard to understand and get that light in their eyes, like ‘I got it’. 

Q: What are your hobbies and interests outside of school?

A: I like to go skiing and gardening. I also coach gymnastics which is using physics.

Q: What are you looking forward to at WA?

A: The camaraderie of the teachers and being in a place that values me as a person and wants to see me succeed. I want to succeed and I want to stay. 

Q: Do you have any advice for the students of WA?

A: This is your education and this is your time. And [your teachers] are here to help you out.