Head of Guidance Lauren Clark welcomes students

Lauren Clark smiles for the camera.

Provided by Lauren Clark

Lauren Clark smiles for the camera.

Shreya Voruganti, News Editor

The guidance office is a hub of activity at WA. Students, teachers, and staff members alike are constantly visiting the offices for supplies, passes, and forms. Students can also visit guidance counselors for advice and help outside of academics. Sometimes, however, they need to go to the Head of Guidance, Lauren Clark.

Clark was the department head in the counseling office at Wachusett Regional High School in Holden before she became the director of school counseling.

“It was a difficult decision to leave my previous district. But I knew I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to work with this team of school counselors at a school that focuses on well-being, engagement with learning, and the whole student,” said Clark.

Clark majored in psychology and minored in business at Siena College in Loudonville.

“I knew that I wanted to pursue a career in education but wasn’t sure what.  During my master’s program, […] I really fell in love with the coursework behind school counseling.  Everything from the role of a counselor to planning developmentally appropriate lessons was interesting to me,” said Clark.

Due to COVID, starting a new job is difficult, because it is harder to interact with people, in the same way. Clark had a similar issue, and for the first few weeks, holding her own was a struggle

However, Clark is loving her time at WA since all the faculty and staff have been supporting her, and she has met some awesome students as well.

Clark encourages students to find their identity and be themselves.

“Figure out who you are as a student and as a person.  Find out what you love and pursue that.  Treat others with respect.  Maintain a healthy life balance,” said Clark.