Klostermann joins the Army

Brian Klostermann poses for his senior portrait.

Rohun Voruganti, Staff Writer

Here at Westford Academy, the goal for almost all students is to go to college, with the school promoting this goal by teaching classes that will help students prepare for higher education.  Across the country, roughly thirty percent of graduates don’t go to college and choose a different path, including trades, starting a business, or joining the military.

Senior Brian Klostermann is not taking the ordinary path towards his goals.  With the dream of becoming an Airborne Ranger Combat Medic (68W), Klostermann will be enrolling in the United States Army, hoping to be stationed somewhere in Europe in the future.

“I didn’t think college was the right option for me at the time. I wanted to grow up a little bit and gain some structure,” Klostermann said.

A Combat Medic Specialist administers emergency medical care in the field in both combat and humanitarian situations. They serve as a first responder t0 triage illnesses and injuries in order to save lives.  A 68W deploys as a line medic, which means they’ll be attached to a platoon of soldiers and are responsible for their medical care.  The line medic is in the field, treating at the point of injury, and carries medical gear, weapons, ammunition, and body armor.

He hopes to serve four to ten years, enlisting full time and has prepared mentally and physically for basic training, lifting often and leaning out.  It starts with basic combat training or army boot camp. Boot camp lasts ten weeks, with a starting week of paperwork and a couple of tests, three phases of training lasting 9 weeks, and then graduation.  If students decide to continue to a higher roll, they can enlist for specialized training in their career field, or they may go to Officer Candidate School to master leadership skills.

“I think I’m going to love it for what it is, but yes I’m excited to get started with my life,” he said.

According to Military One Source, after basic training, students will continue specialized training in the same desired area.  For example, infantry and armor specialties complete basic and advanced training at Fort Benning.

As for the influences in his life, Klostermann looked up to his military father all his life.

“My father served in the Army for thirty-two years. He did influence me but I only saw it as a positive thing.  I also have friends going other branches,” Klostermann said.

Klostermann is a very driven young man with plans to do all types of things to help people. Working in the field can be dangerous and training can be tiresome, but Klostermann is confident that this is the right step to achieving one of his many life goals.

“After I leave the Army, I plan to start a career in nursing and then electrical work.  I am very excited to be in the real world,” Klostermann said.