Incorporating a life skills elective will benefit all students

Ivy Howard, Staff Writer

When a student leaves school to go home, they face the hardship of being lost because the school doesn’t teach them basic life skills in any classes. Specifically, they struggle managing house management and everyday life skills.

Among the many classes given, the administration has yet to incorporate more useful ones into the system. There should be electives that could help students with their everyday life and teach them useful skills and tactics.

To put it simply, despite there being a large variety of other electives, the idea of incorporating home and life skills as a school elective may be considered a helpful and useful inclusion.

The incorporation of life skills elective would lead to students having a much more difficult time trying to learn to live by themselves.  For example, in my experience, sometimes my parents hadn’t been home after school for a few hours, which delayed any experiences toward learning home chores and tasks with a personal educator.

Students without a parent, guardian, or anyone else to look up to, wouldn’t know how to perform skills such as doing the laundry or paying taxes. Getting hands-on experience would be more appropriate than learning from the internet, where information isn’t always factually checked or taught by a professional educator.

For the school to include this elective would help students with personal growth and tactics. Students partaking in the class will acquire learning skills such as house maintenance and maintaining a student loan.

If a student learns more about one of the things taken in class, they may develop a hobby or interest toward that specific idea. For example, if a student were to focus on mental health as a unit under life skills, they may be interested in focusing on types of disorders and finding job applications leaning toward helping those with an illness.

If a life skills elective were to be added, it would introduce better opportunities for students to prepare for their family. Nonetheless, this could also allow for students to take care of their own families depending on their own personal situation.

The life skills elective would incorporate family and house management. The unit would range from being taught everyday chores to doing taxes and money management. This way, students won’t have to go through the trouble of not knowing what to do after graduating high school.

Finding a staff member to teach the life skills elective wouldn’t be too difficult, knowing that there have been more electives and classes added without more staff joining the school.

If there were to be a possible chance to add another elective or class to the school, the first consideration they should make is implementing the life skills, whether it be into an already existing class or a new elective. Overall, the consideration of this type of elective would definitely shape an influential and significant change to classes.