Hillman stationed at WA for the coming years

Griffin Parker

New physical education teacher MIchael Hillman is excited to be joining the WA faculty this year.

Griffin Parker, Social Media Editor

Michael Hillman is a new physical education teacher here at Westford Academy, and the Ghostwriter was able to interview him about his past and his new position at WA.

Question: What was your previous job before teaching here at Westford Academy?

A: I was a youth director on a military base for the Boys and Girls Club.

Q: Have you been a teacher anywhere else?

A: I have done long-term subbing in Grafton, I have done some subbing for a Department of Defense School overseas, and I’ve done day to day subbing the last couple of years in this area of Massachusetts.

Q: Since when have you wanted to be a teacher? 

A: I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was in third grade. I had this teacher,  Miss Westerman. I’ll never forget her. She really brought school to life in such unique ways, and I said to myself, ‘I want to do this’.

Q: What are your interests and hobbies?

A: That’s a loaded question. It really depends on the season, but I love sports. I love anything that moves faster than me, like wakeboarding, kiteboarding, windsurfing, snowboarding. I like canoeing, hiking, basketball, soccer, everything. I play guitar a little bit, and I like my pets.

Q: Did you play any sports in high school or college?

A: I did in high school. I played basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, we didn’t have any baseball, and I played inner tube water polo.

Q: Where are you from?

A: I grew up overseas in the Marshall Islands. I’ve jumped around a lot, but if I had to say where I’m from, born and raised in the Marshall Islands. Kwajalein, Marshall Islands. Seven square miles, so very, very small.

Q: Where did you go to college? 

A: I went to Manhattan College-which is ironically in the Bronx- for my undergrad, and I went to Fitchburg State for my Masters.

Q: What are you most excited about here at WA?

A: Being back in school, honestly. It’s been a while since I was in an academic setting, so to be back to school, to be around youth, to be working towards a goal. I find it all very exciting.