A buzzer beater to begin Week 2

By Ryan Auger

Week 2 of the Rec ball season began with a bang when Sean Shackleton banked in a buzzer-beater three-pointer with his team down by two. The final score was 40 – 39, with the Rockets defeating the Pistons in an exciting start to week two. Steve Harrison League director said, “It was a great shot that won his team a close game”.

Again the Knicks were throttled losing by 26 points to the Pacers. Senior Brian Rosinski (below) lead the way offensively for the Knicks, but that wasn’t enough; Devin Garvey and Mark Henessey (below) were dominant offensively putting the team on their back. The two teams will meet up again in week 4.

The Thunder won by four measly points over the 76er’s; Joe Barisano had to get the job done without his brother Ralph Barisano. The offense of the Thunder without Joe was unable to get into a flow, but Joe returned to the game with it tied at 39 with two minutes to play. His free throws closed the game.

Brian Rosinski drives through the lane.

On Monday night The Grizzlies got things done without their leading scorer from week one and were able to win easily 67 – 36 over The Jazz.

The Grizzlies have won both their games by big margins of 31 this week and 34 last week looking like the top team in the league sitting at 2-0.

The warriors handled The Cav’s 59 – 38, and there was a close game between the Hornets and the Nets. Thomas Wauford and Mark Mastandrea were able to get the Nets their first win, 47 – 44.

Mark Hennessey brings the ball up.

Week two introduced some new issues. One was the reffing. There are a few new referees, to go along with the usuals such as Mr.Quattrocchi. These new ref’s hopefully will set a high standard and make the calls when necessary. But the new referees made some questionable calls, which is the reason why they are being brought up.

Christian Prusaczyk was bringing the ball up the court during a play and was hit with a fierce elbow by the defense playing tight. The ref blew his whistle and called a ten second violation. It was obvious that the crowd disagreed with the call. The call might have been fair of it was a backcourt.

This was a major blown call on a day of may others.

I feel that the referees usually do an excellent job having to make hard decisions, but this was not their best weekend in my opinion.

Besides the blown calls, there were quality games mixed with blowouts by lots of points. In two weeks, games will start up again. Some teams will be facing teams they have already played.

One thing to look forward to is the new schedule in the fifth week. The competition should be closer with the next four games, which will be based on records. There should be many close and exciting matches.

Full Scoreboard:

HSB 16 – Hornets 47
    HSB 6 – Nets 44
    HSB 24 – Grizzlies 67
    HSB 10 – Jazz 36
    HSB 5 – Warriors 59
    HSB 8 – Cavaliers 38
    HSB 1 – Thunder 44
    HSB 11 – 76ers 40
    HSB 13 – Magic 58
    HSB 17 – Wizards 44
    HSB 14 – Hawks 43
    HSB 15 – Heat 40
    HSB 18 – Bulls 63
    HSB 19 – Bucks 40
    HSB 2 – Pacers 77
    HSB 12 – Knicks 51
    HSB 22 – Spurs 59
    HSB 21 – Mavericks 51
    HSB 23 – Bobcats 39
    HSB 3 – Suns 32
    HSB 9 – Kings 60
    HSB 4 – Clippers 45
    HSB 7 – Rockets 40
    HSB 20 – Pistons 39