Girls Varsity Gymnastics beats Groton – Dunstable

Athena Lewin, Staff Writer

• Senior Jelina Farrell, practicing her routine on the even bars.

• Senior Jelina Farrell doing a back flip on the balance beams, getting a score 8.00

• Senior Jelina Farrell, doing a split on the balance beans

• Freshman Grace Keele, doing a handstand backflip on the balance beams

• Senior Hannah Wang, doing a cartwheel on balance beams

• Freshman Erin Cragg hoisting herself up to get ready for her routine

• Senior Captain Hannah Kettering in finishing pose after completing her routine

• Junior Jacqueline Miller doing a front flip off the balance beam

• Freshman Erin Cragg doing a wolf jump on the balance beams.

• Freshman Erin Cragg doing a wide handstand on balance beam

• Senior Jelina Farrelll doing a candlestick pose on uneven bars

• Senior Jelina Farrell reaching for the bar as she practices her routine before the meet

On January 8, 2017, Westford Academy Varsity Girls’ Gymnastics beat Groton-Dunstable Regional. WA received a score of 131.75, while G-DR’s score was 126.85.

The first event, the vault, started the team off with strong scores, with sophomore Jessica Gould scoring the high score of 8.45. She ran, did a backflip into a twist, and stuck the landing.

In the uneven bars, senior captain Hannah Kettering took the high score of an 8.00 with her intricate routine. She started on the shorter bar with a flip, then stood on the bar and grabbed onto the higher bar where she performed three flips. She ended her routine with a flip off the bar, landing on the mat.

The third event was the beam, and many of the gymnasts struggled but managed to finish their routines strong. Freshman Grace Keele scored a high of 8.10, with senior captain Jelina Farrell following closely behind with an 8.00. Grace’s routine consisted of a backflip and a jump.

In the final event, floor, the scores were high. Farrell’s floor routine of front flips and backflips earned her a 9.00. Junior Jacqueline LaBarre’s and senior Hannah Wang’s scores were close behind with LaBarre receiving an 8.30 and Wang receiving an 8.25.

Each member of the team trains hard to do well and improve.

“We practice really hard,” said sophomore Amanda Murphy who puts in an hour and a half each day for gymnastics.

Coach Stephanie Coburn is proud of her team this year, and although their numbers are small, she feels they are gelling as a team.

“We’re good […] they seemed to hold themselves pretty well together,” Coburn said.