Girls Varsity Gymnastics beats Groton – Dunstable

Athena Lewin, Staff Writer

On January 8, 2017, Westford Academy Varsity Girls’ Gymnastics beat Groton-Dunstable Regional. WA received a score of 131.75, while G-DR’s score was 126.85.

The first event, the vault, started the team off with strong scores, with sophomore Jessica Gould scoring the high score of 8.45. She ran, did a backflip into a twist, and stuck the landing.

In the uneven bars, senior captain Hannah Kettering took the high score of an 8.00 with her intricate routine. She started on the shorter bar with a flip, then stood on the bar and grabbed onto the higher bar where she performed three flips. She ended her routine with a flip off the bar, landing on the mat.

The third event was the beam, and many of the gymnasts struggled but managed to finish their routines strong. Freshman Grace Keele scored a high of 8.10, with senior captain Jelina Farrell following closely behind with an 8.00. Grace’s routine consisted of a backflip and a jump.

In the final event, floor, the scores were high. Farrell’s floor routine of front flips and backflips earned her a 9.00. Junior Jacqueline LaBarre’s and senior Hannah Wang’s scores were close behind with LaBarre receiving an 8.30 and Wang receiving an 8.25.

Each member of the team trains hard to do well and improve.

“We practice really hard,” said sophomore Amanda Murphy who puts in an hour and a half each day for gymnastics.

Coach Stephanie Coburn is proud of her team this year, and although their numbers are small, she feels they are gelling as a team.

“We’re good […] they seemed to hold themselves pretty well together,” Coburn said.