Fidler accelerates to WA

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fidler accelerates to WA

Click here to read about Sean Fidler

Click here to read about Sean Fidler

Click here to read about Sean Fidler

Click here to read about Sean Fidler

Mahi Kandage, Author

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: Actually, I finished up my student teaching last year, which I did through UMass Lowell. After that, I was a long-term sub at Concord- Carlisle high school for a few months. This is actually my first full year teaching and it’s exciting.

Q: What made you decide to become a teacher?

A: To be honest, it wasn’t necessarily in my original plan. I always liked writing, especially journalism. A long time ago, I liked astronomy, but I knew I wasn’t going to pursue that, so I thought about scientific journalism, but when I got into college, and in high school too actually, I started tutoring kids, and that’s when I realized I like to see that click in someone’s eye when they finally get something. And so very early on, I decided to go down the track of education.

Q: What did you aspire to be as a child?

A: I played music a lot, and I always wanted to be a musician too. When I was about twelve or thirteen I picked up a bass guitar and that was actually my biggest passion for a while. I was in a lot of bands in high school and I thought I’d always be that rock star, but I took a different path.

Q: What do you like best about teaching?

A: Definitely that click in someone’s eyes when they get something that they didn’t understand before. Those few moments that happen are my favorites.

Q: What do you like least about teaching?

A: There’s not a whole lot that I don’t like about it. The planning takes a long time from day to day, and sometimes that can be a little strenuous. It’s not necessarily bad, it’s actually exciting when you come up with a new lesson plan you love. But a lot of times, a new plan can fail, which is frustrating.

Q: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: I play ultimate frisbee, and I do a lot of white-water rafting up in Maine. That’s pretty much my biggest passion right now, outside of school.

Q: What got you interested in physics?

A: Astronomy led me down that path. I got into astronomy because my house up in Maine is in a town that has a residency of approximately 32 people. You can just look up and see the whole Milky Way. That’s when I realized this was what I wanted to do.

Q: What do you like most about WA so far?

A: Definitely the whole atmosphere. Positivity emanates from everyone in every corner. There are some other schools where you notice the stress and not as much positivity, but at WA, I feel like everyone’s happy to be here. I’m very excited to be here.