A Night of Talents

by Matt Miller

The crowd pours in, awaiting the beginning of the show. Family and friends gather to watch their children or peers perform. The clock strikes seven o’clock. The stage lights dim, the crowd gives a cheer, the show is about to begin.

In the limelight appears Dr. Spadano, reprising his role as the master of ceremonies. For every act, he eagerly introduced the performer or group.

This night presented a myriad of talents, ranging from young entertainers to a juggling unicyclist to an Indian Dance performance. There were musicians, vocalists and dancers amongst others.

But there were a few acts that stood out in particular.

About half-way through the first act, a trio of break-dancers hit the stage. Brian Lai, Ben Ngai and Tak Wong flabbergasted the crowd with their dance moves. Using a Wii and Mario theme remix, the trio moved in perfect accord. Even Mr. O’Leary made a cameo and “got down with it.”

The opener for Act Two presented a group by the name of Last Sound on Earth, a Post-Experimental group. The band is comprised of Mitchell Cohen (Keyboards, Piano), Zack Roberts (Guitar), Sal Restuccia (Bass Guitar) and Nick Mariotti (Drums, Percussion). The group performed an original composition titled “Should We Run”? It blew the socks off both the audience and it seems the judges as well. The four blended together so well and proceeded to impress the audience.

A rather strange act came in the form of John Bergin singing the national anthem while bouncing on a pogo stick. Strange and patriotic. Even the audience joined in a salute to the American Flag.

Elizabeth Agneta gave a choreographed dance rendition of Angels on the Moon. Her improvisation was well rehearsed and demonstrated her knowledge of the art of dance. The energy she presented would later grant her a high honor.

To close the show, a cover of an Oasis tune and an act by the Faculty were staged. A number of teachers and staff amassed the stage to imitate a scene from Glee.

As all the performers took to the stage, Dr. Spadano presented the winners. In third place came Elizabeth Agneta. In second place came Last Sound on Earth and in first place came the break-dancing trio.

The night had presented scores of talent, old and new, but everybody seemed to enjoy themselves.