Coughlin ready to start next chapter

Math coordinator Kathy Coughlin

Retiring from Westford Academy this year, Cathy Coughlin is ready to start a new chapter of her life. During her time here, she has contributed greatly to the community and has been involved in different aspects of the school. Starting as a student and eventually becoming a teacher here, Coughlin is excited to see what the future holds for her.

“I’ve loved my years here as a student and as a teacher. It was great to come back. The people are wonderful to work with and the students are great,” Coughlin said.

Coughlin has maintained the position of math coordinator for the past eleven years along with teaching math classes throughout the years. This year, she taught trigonometry functions and statistics which consisted of juniors and seniors. She was also class advisor in previous years.

With her mother being a second grade teacher, Coughlin knew from an early age she wanted to have a similar career. After substituting for her mother one winter break, she knew that she wanted to teach high schoolers instead of elementary students.

“I want to be able to have conversations with my students. It’s hard to do that with elementary school kids,” said Coughlin.

Teaching her four sisters when they were young are some of Coughlin’s early memories of when she realized that she wanted to go into education.

“I’m the oldest of 5 so I would always sit and teach my younger sisters using my blackboard,” Coughlin said.

Coughlin studied math and education at Fitchburg State University and Rivier College. Before becoming a teacher, she tutored students and also worked at a bank.

Outside the classroom, golfing is one of Coughlin’s favorite hobbies. She also has a seasonal home in Wells, Maine where she likes to spend time at the beach, and she is planning on going there between May and October. 

Coughlin considers the teachers at WA as her friends as well as her co-workers. They get together outside the school and she will miss all of them. 

Following her retirement, Coughlin is looking to substitute at WA and even looking for a part time job somewhere else.

“I want to be able to travel not on school vacations, that’s my big dream.  I want to see more of the United States and go some place warm in the wintertime,” she said.

As she says her good byes to her students and friends at WA, Coughlin has a positive attitude for the future. She will miss everyone in the community while the people of WA will do the same for her.

“The years I’ve spent here have been amazing and I am going to miss everyone, the staff and my students. I’m looking forward to start the next part of my life,” Coughlin said.