The Ghostwriter “Feels the Bern”

Ghostwriter Staff

This week, the Ghostwriter staff voted to endorse Vermont Senator Bernard Sanders for the 2016 Primary elections. After panel discussions on varying political views, the decision was made to endorse two candidates: one Democrat and one Republican. Eventually, the staff decided to endorse Marco Rubio as the Republican candidate and Bernie Sanders for the Democratic side.

Bernie Sanders’ progressive views on economic equality and closing the wealth gap by taxing our nation’s top one percent follow the paths of today’s stable, quasi-socialist economies, such as those of Denmark, Austria, Germany, Sweden, and arguably Canada.

Throughout history, capitalism has been useful for Democratic nations; however, with little regulation, it is easy for extreme capitalist countries to spiral out of control. This leaves the country in a cycle in which the wealthy get wealthier while the working class grows increasingly impoverished.

Pure capitalism can easily lead to slow corruption if not balanced out partially by socialist values.

By raising the federal minimum wage to fifteen dollars an hour, supporting a universal, single-payer healthcare plan, and limiting the power of the nation’s wealthiest men and women through taxation and reformation of the lobbying system in Washington, Bernie Sanders will put the United States on track to having a strong middle class that can afford to live comfortably without sacrificing its health.

Along with wealth equality, we are confident that Bernie Sanders will lead the United States forward in issues regarding civil rights. Having protested for desegregation in the 1960’s and consistently shown support for wage equality, criminal justice reform, LGBT acceptance, and the federal legalization of marijuana, Bernie Sanders has demonstrated progressive values in recognizing the rights of women, minority groups, and the gay and lesbian community among others.

Lastly, with a large majority of students in a hopeless pile of debt from student loans, Bernie’s appreciation of education sweetens the pot for any voter who values knowledge, and can produce a generation of bright individuals who can point out Canada on a map if asked (currently 60% of the adult population in the United States). Making public college tuition-free is an essential step to a more advanced, well-balanced nation. As a student publication, we value Senator Sanders’ plan to make education more available to young men and women across the country.

There comes a time in every generation where one decision can open the window to a wave of positive change to improve society. Now, in a period of divided views, mass communication, and an improved, yet still flawed, American society, this generation has a chance to help improve the ways of the U.S, and perhaps even the world. This milestone, however, can only be achieved through the election of Senator Bernard Sanders. Do not hesitate when the feeling smacks you in the face. Do not be afraid when you Feel the Bern.