Novel gives insight to Cambodian Genocide

Ellie Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Some books are written purely to entertain the reader, while others both entertain and inform. The Cambodian Genocide is a topic that many students lack a full understanding of because it is not studied thoroughly in the typical school curriculum. However, the novel In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner explores the life a Raami, a seven year old girl living in Cambodia during the Cambodian Genocide and gives some insight as to what Cambodians experienced during this time.  

Throughout the novel, Raami experiences difficult times including being separated by some of her family members, and she is forced to fight for survival while many people are dying around her in the Cambodian Genocide.

Sophomore Medha Palnati has begun reading this novel as an outside reading for her English class. She has enjoyed the book so far and feels that the author excels in portraying what the characters are feeling and experiencing through rich language.

“The author does a good job of describing how desperate and helpless the characters are. Because the book is told through the perspective of a 7 year old child, the emotions come across as very raw,” said Palnati.

Prior to reading the novel, Palnati was unaware of the events that occurred in Cambodia at this time. Since beginning the book, she has learned more about what the Cambodian Genocide was and has gained more of an understanding of what people experienced at the time of the genocide.

Palnati finds the details help paint a picture of what people were going through and allows her to better understand the experiences of the people of Cambodia.

“My favorite thing about the book is the rich descriptions that the author provides,” said Palnati.

In the Shadow of the Banyan describes the devastating events that occurred during the Cambodian Genocide, a subject that many people have a limited knowledge about. Raami’s story gives insight to the experiences of the Cambodian people during the genocide and may raise the reader’s awareness of what Cambodians went through.