Ban on drinks to make for safer environment

By Catherine Pears

WA introduces new rule for all athletic events, searching backpacks and banning outside beverages. This morning, an announcement was made on WABC that all students entering athletic events with bags are subject to search and all outside drinks will be thrown out upon entry to the game.

The timing of this policy may seem off, as we are already a month into the school year, but recent events may have sparked an increase in precaution.
    “Unfortunately, at our last football game there were some students involved in some disciplinary issues. We want to continue our efforts to make sure our school sponsored events are safe,” says Dean Bob Ware.

Although the policy is being taken to a new level, it’s not necessarily anything new. All students are aware that drinking is not only banned on campus, it is also illegal for anyone of high school age.
    “It’s a school event, school function, school time. All rules in the handbook apply,” says Twomey.

This latest rule comes from Mr. Twomey, our new athletic director.
    “We want to make it a safe, school friendly environment. We don’t want it to be ruined by students making bad decisions,” Twomey says. Administration is happy about this move to increase safety at school events.
    “Mr. Twomey has taken the initiative to implement the policy of no containers being brought into athletic events,” said Ware, “and our administrative team supports Mr. Twomey’s actions.”

WA’s administration is prepared to take all steps necessary to create and maintain a safe environment for everyone.
    “If students make bad decisions and bring in any alcoholic beverages, they will be disciplined,” says Ware, “Any student found under the influence of alcohol is a five day out of school suspension.”