Charlie and the Chocolate Factory premiers at Stony Brook

By Victoria Walker
Business Manager

After weeks of rehearsals, opening night has finally arrived for the Stony Brook Theater Arts production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The play is directed by Boston College professor Dr. Luke Jorgensen, who has directed a number of WATA plays, including last spring’s rendition of Romeo and Juliet. Charlie features approximately 40 6-8th grade actors and 20 crew members. Shows are Friday, January 24, at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, January 25, at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. in the Stony Brook Middle School auditorium. Tickets are $10.

“It has been my pleasure to work with the students at Stony Brook again,” said Jorgensen after wrapping up a busy final dress rehearsal. “Being involved in a play is such a great experience for children.”

The fun, colorful show depicts the classic story of Roald Dahl’s children’s novel of the same name, following the adventures of Charlie Bucket, Augustus Gloop, Veruca Salt, Violet Beauregarde and Mike Teavee as they tour Willy Wonka’s mysterious and magnificent chocolate factory. A lot of work has been put into the show by the cast and crew, who are all excited to finally open the curtains and present their final product.

“The parents, the teachers, the administration have all pitched in to help,” said Jorgensen. “The arts are so vital in Westford and I am happy to be a part of it.”

Kim Keenan, who has been organizing the production, agreed that a lot of effort has gone into its development, by both students and other volunteers.

“The kids have worked so hard, and they are ready to bring the show to life this weekend,” said Keenan. “Not to mention we couldn’t do it without the parent volunteers. I am hoping for a great turnout for a great show.”