Three decades at WA

Westford Academy from 1973 to 2001.

By Kai-Lou Yue
Business Manager

Looking at Westford Academy, it is difficult to believe that thirty years ago the building and student population were only half the size it is now, in 2013. Within the last few decades, most teachers working here have either left for retirement or moved on to other schools, and new teachers have arrived in their place. However, there are a few faculty members who have been working here for the last thirty years or more, and they have noticed how WA has evolved.

Michael Parent, who has been a dean at WA for the last 31 years, has enjoyed observing the changes that have occurred at WA during his tenure.

“From ’82 to ’99, [the building] was minus the current renovation we know now … In ’99 we added the new wings; the new science wing upstairs and the new science and foreign language downstairs. The [guidance offices] were renovated. We upgraded the whole building,” said Parent.

The renovations were made in order to cope with the increasing number of students every school year. Back in the 1980’s, there were only about 200 students per class, and in total, the entire school had around 800 students. Now in 2013, there is currently about 400 or more students per class, with 1650 students in total in the school.

In addition to the school’s size being improved with the new wings, the library has also modified.

Elaine Pietras, a librarian at WA for the last 33 years, said, “The library [used to be] primarily print, with a small collection of microfilm and microfiche. There was a huge cabinet that contained the card catalog, which was full of paper index cards, letting students and faculty know what books were in the library.”

Throughout the years, the library has also seen an increasing number of students since 2000 because of the renovations it received. According to Pietras, 30 years ago, the library was much smaller and was located on the first floor of WA. The two new computer labs that were installed also encouraged students to go to the library.

Besides the growth in student numbers and the building size, teachers have also seen adjustments in teaching methods.

Sandra Whittemore, a psychology and sociology teacher, is on her 37th year of teaching at WA. According to Whittemore, back when she first started teaching at WA in 1977, teaching methods were vastly different.

“Almost everyone lectured. Student spent a good portion of the period just taking notes … There were a few projects, but not a lot of projects. It was pretty much a lecture format,” said Whittemore.

Whittemore believes that the changes she has seen in the classroom have made learning experiences better for students. Unlike a few decades ago, teachers now use cooperative learning. Students are expected to work together on projects and discussion is encouraged in the class. There are also more ways for students to learn with the help of technology, such as online resources, or YouTube videos.

“Everything is at our fingertips now, like access to iPads in the classroom, and iMovie … It just gives kids so much creativity with how they present what they want,” said Whittemore. “I’m doing power points and interactive lessons and I’m bringing in videos.  You can go on YouTube, and you can find a video from a famous psych research study.”

Parent is in agreement with Whittemore that technology has improved the learning of WA students.

“I feel like [students] have such a better education at this point because of the integration of technology,” said Parent.

Mark Miller, the  Audio Visual technician of WA, believes that none of the technology that the school had 30 years ago is still in use.

“In 2000, the school’s renovations expanded the school and added TV’s in all the classrooms. In 2002, we started the morning announcements over the TVs… a student named Matthew Korobkin was the one who originally had the idea,” said Miller.

Before the announcements started over the TV, they were delivered over the intercom. Instead of students being able to make their own videos and record them for the morning announcements, filmstrips and cassette tapes had to be used.

WA has changed significantly during the last 30 years and will continue transforming as time goes on.