An historical loss for WA

The complete Social Studies department for the 2012-2013 school year.

By Kathleen McAleese
Features Editor
& Lauren Cullen
Multimedia Editor

The Social Studies department will be losing three teachers next year, along with one teacher on a half year maternity leave. John Wysokowski and Patrick Culhane, will be leaving Westford Academy, and Kathleen Ralls will be on leave for the 2013-2014 school year on a Fulbright scholarship to Norway. Amanda Everett will be on maternity leave for the first half of next year, leaving the department scrambling for new teachers to take their positions.

“There are some heavy hitters that will be leaving,” said Principal Jim Antonelli.

Culhane is in his first year teaching at WA and plans to teach next year, along with Wysokowski, at Bedford High School, where Culhane served as a long-term substitute last year.

“I had a really great experience there, it’s a little closer to home. It pays a little bit better. It was really those three things,” Culhane said. “For me, thinking about how I would react, if a couple people were leaving from one department, I think it speaks to maybe why some of the teachers are thinking about leaving.”

“I really think [the pay] is a deciding factor,” said Culhane.

Wysokowski declined to comment on the issue.

Both Wysokowski and Culhane will surely be missed.

“The entire social studies department is sad to see Mr. Culhane and Mr. Wysokowski depart for Bedford High School next year. Both are fine teachers and have a deep understanding for history and social studies,” said social studies department coordinator Libby Porter.

Although Culhane has only been at WA for one year, he has left a great impression.

“We know him for his true historian’s approach to teaching social studies. No doubt, he will continue to flourish in his teaching career,” said Porter.

In his six years ar WA, Wysokowski has “carved a special niche here,” according to Porter.

“He is famously respectful and perhaps a bit “old school,” addressing his scholars formally as Ms. or Mr. He has a quiet, gentle manner yet has revealed his wilder side. He, along with his Unicycle Club regularly cruise the WA parking lot and annually appear at the Apple Blossom Parade,” said Porter.

The timing for the announcement of these teachers’ leaves is not convenient, however teaching candidates have been going through the interview process.

“I won’t say we won’t find the best candidates, hopefully we will. There are some great people out there,” said Antonelli.

Students and teachers alike have formed bonds with both Wysokowski and Culhane during their time at WA, and their leave will impact the department as a whole.

“Ouch… ouch,” said Antonelli. “It hurts because I think you know I bleed maroon and grey. I want to keep people around here; I want to keep people happy.”

Antonelli explained that interest in new teachers goes far past teaching ability. Individuals interested in spending their time with students out of the classroom through clubs and sports teams are invaluable to the school as a whole.

Both Culhane and Wysokowski found themselves involved in the WA community, Culhane being involved in coaching the freshman boys’ soccer team, and  Wysokowski involved in both student council and the adviser of the unicycle club.

The news of these teachers’ leaves, although recent, requires certain actions to be taken, including finding new, capable teachers to fill spots.

Upwards to fourteen teachers will be interviewed by a panel that includes teachers, students, and parents, accompanied by Porter. From the selection, five teachers will be brought to Antonelli to then send on to Superintendent Everett Olsen.

“I understand. I’ve been here for twenty years but not many people stay for that long anymore in a particular school system,” said Antonelli. “Education seems to be a little more static but people need to move. There’s different money too.”

View Comments (1)