The Teachers of Tomorrow: The FEA

by Renee Craig

Most of us are familiar with popular clubs like DECA and GSA but there are quite a few clubs here at WA that many people don’t know about. One of these such clubs is the FEA, the Future Educators Association, formerly know as the Future Educators of America.

This club was nationally founded in 1937 and has had a long and successful history. It provides experience and community service hours for people interested in one day being involved in education. Students who are a part of  this club have a chance to visit other schools in the district, like Robinson, and spend time with the children and teachers.

The club members assist teachers by making copies, engaging with students, and even leading activities.

William Bobrowsky, a  teacher at WA, is the current advisor of the club and was a member himself when he went to high school. This club is mostly student driven and Bobrowsky prefers to let the students run the show.

” They’re the heroes, really, of the program,” said Bobrowsky, when asked about the co-presidents of the club, Jenny Adelstein and Jaime Basiliere.

“I … wanted a way to get involved in the school, and receive community service hours. I also thought it sounded fun to go back to a school I went to as a kid and help out,” said Basiliere.

One of the main functions of the FEA is to assist teachers. The FEA puts cards into teachers mailboxes on their birthdays and hosts a teacher ice cream social at the end of the year. They also fundraise by selling goods at track and hosting a table at the Holiday Bazaar. At their meetings they discuss their experiences at the schools and the teachers and students they got to interact with.

The FEA provides a chance for students to be involved in their community, and get a taste of what a career in education might be like. Next time you are thinking about joining a club check out the FEA, because you never know, it could change your life. Bobrowsky, the club advisor, and a science teacher was a member when he went to school.