Student Spotlight: Alveena Hammad

The Ghostwriter had the opportunity to sit down and interview sophomore Alveena Hammad for our Student Spotlight series. Hammad’s goal is to get into medical school. She tells us about her experience in the Ghosts and Goblins club as well. Read the transcript below for our full interview!

Q: What’s your name and what grade are you in?

A: My name is Alveena Hammad and I’m in tenth grade.

Q: Do you have a favorite class?

A: A favorite class, probably Algebra 2.

Q: How come?

A: I just like math and the teacher is really nice.

Q: Do you plan on taking any math courses in the future? Maybe as a college major?

A: I’m thinking of going into medical, so I probably will have to take some math classes for that.

Q: If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?

A: Oh, that’s really hard, […] probably caring.

Q: Is there something that you could tell us about you that people might not know about you?

A: I’m a Muslim, so I’m actually fasting right now, a lot of people don’t know that about me.

Q: Where would you see yourself in 10 years?

A: In 10 years I hope to be living in the city and medical school hopefully.

Q: Why are you trying to pursue a medical career? Do you have any reasons for doing so?

A: Yeah, in my family there has been a lot of  health issues regarding cancer and stuff like that, so it’s inspiring and makes me motivated to help people.

Q: What do you do outside of school? Any extracurriculars?

A: I’m in Ghosts and Goblins, so next year I am set to be the head of that club. We go to Blanchard or other schools and just kind of help out with the kids there. Outside of that, I also go to Sunday school and that’s it.

Q: Do you enjoy what you do in the Ghosts and Goblins club?

A: Yeah, Ghosts and Goblins is really fun. It’s fun to connect with kids younger than you, especially the up-coming freshmen. So it’s good to make those connections. 

Q: If you could be any place in the world, where would you choose?

A: I really want to visit Greece, it’s really pretty there. I want to visit Greece and a lot of Middle Eastern countries, that would be fun.

Q: Is there anything else interesting about you that you would want to share about yourself?

A: That sounds about it.