Student Spotlight: Briana Dennis

The Ghostwriter had the opportunity to sit down and interview freshman Briana Dennis for our Student Spotlight series. Read the transcript below for our full interview!

Q: Good afternoon, everyone. Today we have a freshman, Briana, with us, and we’re going to have a conversation with her and get to know her better. Briana, can you begin by introducing yourself to the crowd with your name and grade?

A: Hi, I’m Briana. I’m a freshman.

Q: So, can you tell the audience something about yourself that people might not know just from first meeting you or looking at you?

A: Yeah, sure. I am from Texas; I moved here this year. It’s a big change.

Q: Which part of Texas did you move from? Were you closer to the city or was it more of a rural area?

A: I lived in a smaller city.

Q: Would you say moving to Westford is more crowded than what you’re used to, or less crowded?

A: It’s a bit more crowded than what I’m used to. Before I moved to Westford, I also stayed near Boston for a year in an apartment.

Q: What was it like coming from first being in a smaller city in Texas, to then being in an apartment near Boston, which is a [bigger] city, to coming to Westford, which is less populated?

A: At first it was exciting, but it’s also a really big change I’m still processing. It’s a very big change, especially when I used to live near family in Texas and now we’re up here and we’re farther away.

Q: Have you been able to visit your family yet since you’ve moved? Or are you making plans to do so?

A: Yeah, I’ve been able to visit my family. My little brother comes every now and then.

Q: Does your little brother still live in Texas?

A: Yeah, he does. But he also visits here and he seems to really like it here.

Q: Have you been able to keep in contact with your friends and acquaintances back in Texas?

A: Yes, we call every now and then, or text; we even do virtual sleepovers or we just talk. We still keep in contact.

Q: About those virtual sleepovers, how exactly do you [and your friends] conduct those?

A: There’s a thing where you can play a movie and we can all watch it, but we also just like to talk.

Q: What kinds of movies do you like to watch together?

A: Just random ones, we just suggest different movies.

Q: So what would you say has been the hardest part of adjusting from life in Texas to life here in Massachusetts?

A: Well, I don’t know anyone here, but that’s kind of the fun of it too, because you get to meet new people.

Q: What’s been your favorite part of being here in Westford at WA so far?

A: There are a lot of nice people; I like getting to know different people. The teachers are really nice and I like exploring a new area.

Q: What are some of your favorite classes that you’ve been taking at WA so far?

A: Study Skills, because you don’t really do anything in there and you can take the time to get homework done instead of doing it at home.

Q: Yeah, it’s nice to have a balance between school life and home life. Are you doing any clubs or extracurriculars?

A: I’ve been doing theater, theater activities. It’s been a great way to get to know a lot of people and explore more.

Q: Are you more into the acting side of things or more of the tech side of things when it comes to theater?

A: Before I moved here, I’ve been more into the tech side of things, and learning more of that. But now it’s kind of undetermined.

Q: That’s cool; trying new things out. Bouncing off that idea of trying out new things, I know you’ve done a lot of traveling and moving around; if you could travel to any new place in the world right this second, where would you go?

A: Los Angeles.

Q: Why would you want to go to Los Angeles?

A: It seems to be a really big area and I like to explore different cities, and so I just think it’d be really fun to go there.

Q: What are some of the things of things you’d like to try out in a big city? Do you like to be around crowds of people or things like that?

A: Sometimes, it depends.

Q: Are there any other places you would want to travel to besides Los Angeles?

A: Well, I’ve been to New Orleans before and if I could go there again, I would. It was really fun to explore. It’s exactly how you would imagine it. There are people selling a lot of art in the streets and there are lots of interesting shops. When you look up images online, that looks pretty similar to it.

Q: What kinds of interesting shops were there in New Orleans?

A: Well, there are these voodoo shops, which were really cool to explore and they’re pretty positive too.