Masterson to take the stage at Emerson College

Provided by Audrey Masterson

Masterson (far right) directs in the Black Box alongside sophomore Aubrie Rose (center), sophomore Ruby Davis (left), and sophomore DJ Maillet (far left).

James Farley, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Ever since fifth grade, senior Audrey Masterson has been intrigued with the world of theater. The wide array of possibilities, including performing, tech, playwriting, and directing all lure Masterson into being a part of what takes place once the red curtains open up. This, paired with her interest in teaching, led Masterson to a future career choice that would combine both of these passions: Theatre Education.

After years of being on the receiving end of learning how to put on a show, Masterson will be attending Emerson College in Boston for Theatre Education next year so that she can one day teach students of her own how to put on the shows that mean so much to her.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher for the longest time but I never really knew what exactly I wanted to teach. When I found my passion for theater, I started to do some research and found that I could major in Theatre Education,” Masterson said. “I fell in love with the idea of teaching kids about my passion for theater and teaching them all of the aspects of what it means to make great art on stage.”

The college search process came with challenges for Masterson. She knew that she wanted to stay close, but only a slim number of colleges in New England offer Theatre Education as a major, making the search difficult.

“I applied to four colleges in total, so the hunt for a college with my major and somewhat close to home was a little challenging,” Masterson said. 

However, the further Masterson looked into attending Emerson, the more interested she became in the college. She was impressed by the campus and its close proximity home, but above all, the fact that it offers her desired and unique major.

“Emerson has a really good program for Theatre Education, so it drew me in from the beginning. When I toured it I loved the feel of the campus and when I went to “Accepted Students Day”, I got to take a mock class and meet some people who were also in my major,” Masterson said. “After that day, I knew Emerson was where I belonged.”

Another major draw that Emerson offers is its diverse array of opportunities for the entire student body. This will allow for Masterson to immerse herself in any theater project that she wants to be a part of during her time as a student.

“I’m very excited to get involved with different projects. Emerson has great opportunities for everyone no matter the major, so if I wanted to I could start a podcast or help with a film,” Masterson said. “I’m also very excited to continue my love of theater in college and get involved with Emerson’s theater program.”

Masterson has been involved in Westford Academy Theater Arts (WATA) for all four years of her high school career, developing her desire to keep it as a major part of her life going forward. Over these four years, Masterson has been a part of many productions that have shaped her love for theater.

“I’ve been in three musicals and I’m currently working on my fourth, Mean Girls. I’ve been involved in a Black Box [Production] my freshman year, and I’ve worked on two plays,” Masterson said. “I’m also a member of the WATA executive board and I just finished directing my own Black Box show with my two co-directors, [senior] Colby Murphy and [senior] Todd Bonica.”

Not only have the experiences played a role in Masterson’s love for theater, but also the teachers that have helped develop Masterson as a member of WATA. Both Michael Towers and Maggie Sulka, WA theater teachers, have not only been there as a helping hand, but have also been role models for Masterson.

“I want to teach theater because of my amazing theater teachers, Mr. Towers and Ms. Sulka. They have taught me more than enough to prepare me for a future in theater. They truly care about the well-being of their students and they do anything they can to help them succeed,” Masterson said. “I want to be just like them when I am a teacher because they truly have shared their passion with me, and that has inspired me to do the same.”

Masterson also credits her parents for being her greatest supporters with not only theater, but in all facets of her life throughout her time in Westford.

“My parents have definitely been my biggest supporters. Last year when I played Patrick in The Spongebob Musical, they made sure to come to every single one of my shows,” Masterson said. “No matter the role I have, my parents are always there in the audience cheering me on and I couldn’t thank them enough.”

Overall, Masterson recognizes theater as something that has developed her as a person. It was not only her favorite activity throughout high school, but also an endeavor that she will carry with her into college and beyond as a theater teacher.

“Theater was something that really broke me out of my shell and allowed me to be my true self. I’ve met my best friends, amazing directors, teachers and collaborators through theater. The overall environment of theater has really changed my life,” Masterson said. “So, deciding to go into theater was pretty easy because I am so excited to stay involved and active in the theater community.”