What I wish I knew as a freshman

Kavya Desikan

The halls of WA

Keertana Gangireddy, Photography Editor

It was only last August when I walked through the main doors of the bell lobby of Westford Academy with an oversized backpack and a map in hand, not entirely ready to begin the the first leg of the four year marathon that is high school. Now, a year later as a sophomore, I’ve spent a good amount of time reflecting upon my experiences as a ‘frosh’. I can safely say that there are a few things I wish I had known, or were more emphasized to me to make the best of my first year.

1. Pursue what interests you

It’s a no brainer to get involved. Clubs will unveil a group of people that share the same hobbies as you. They give you an opportunity for incredible, rewarding experiences. Remember to do what you want to do. The moment you enter high school, you are told that what you do for the next four years will determine what college you will get into. It’s easy to get caught away with trying to impress. It can lead us to pursue what might look good on a resumé, rather than what interests us.

I think the best piece of advice I’ve received regarding the future is that everything that you do has already been seen before by colleges. Attempting to impress them with what you think will appeal to them will get you nowhere, so don’t bother trying to catch their eye, and instead follow what you are passionate about.

2. Organization and Efficiency

This has been said, and will be said again in the future, but manage your time. You may have gotten away with procrastination in the past, but especially with extracurriculars and sports, you simply cannot shove all your work to the very last minute. It’s easier said than done, and I understand, it can be difficult spending seven plus hours at school, only to come home only to do school work. But, starting your assignments at nine o’clock every day is only going to stress you out.

Going hand in hand with time management, be sure to work smart, not hard. Overachieving isn’t a bad thing. However, you’re self-inducing unnecessary pressure when you’re writing eight pages instead of four for every one of your essays, and you’re building a ten foot model of the Eiffel Tower for your French project, when you only needed to draw it on a piece of paper. In most cases, you simply have too much work to do more than what your teacher demands of you. Try to keep yourself as stress-free as possible, and don’t make your life any more difficult than it has to be.

3. You need to calm down

As for another aspect of high school, avoid taking yourself too seriously. Don’t wish the last few years of your childhood away. We’re all still kids, and it’s okay to be childish and stupid at times. You will be expected to be more mature than you were in middle school, but nobody is asking you to act beyond your years. Once you turn eighteen, you have your whole life to be an adult and do ‘adult-y’ things. Cherish your freshman year, and the years to come.

It’s all a learning process. Everybody is in the same boat as you. As daunting as starting high school is, know that it’s okay to make mistakes. Every single person around you will be making mistakes.  It’s going to be a long ride, and it’s going to be hard at times. Ultimately, preserve every positive experience, hold yourself accountable, and try to make your freshman year the best it can be.