Ghosts defeated by Devils

Heather Vaughan, Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 27, at 1:30 p.m., the Girls’ Varsity Softball team played Burlington at the Westford Academy softball diamond and lost 11-0.

This season the Westford Grey Ghosts have done pretty well, winning three games and losing four, including their game against Burlington. The Burlington Devils have been undefeated this season, winning all five games that they have played so far. This classifies the Devils as one of the best teams in the league.

To start off the game, Burlington hit first. In the first inning, the Devils got three runs, and one of their players hit a double. Westford hit next but did not score any runs. The first and second batter struck out, but the third managed to hit the ball. Unfortunately, the first baseman caught the ball in the air scoring the third out and ending the inning.

In the second inning, Burlington got a single and a walk. The Ghosts caught two pop flies hit by Burlington. Three batters in a row struck out for the Ghosts. No Westford players could get on any bases because of Burlington’s pitcher, who is one of the best in the state.

Burlington scored three more points in the third inning, and no Westford players got to any bases, three batters struck out again.

In the fourth inning, Burlington scored a home run. The outfielders could be seen chasing after the ball until it flew past the fence, scoring Burlington another point. This changed the score to 0-7. No Westford players got any bases.

No points were scored in the fifth inning. Westford’s center fielder prevented a Burlington player from getting on a base by catching a pop fly. No Westford players got on a base.

In the sixth inning, the Devils scored another run. Sophomores, Madalyn Ferreira, and Robyn Bryce both hit singles for Westford. Ferreira got out on her way to second base. Bryce got out before she could try for to second base.

In the seventh inning, Burlington scored two more runs and the Grey Ghosts hit another single. The final score of the game was 11-0, and the Red Devils won.

The main reason the Ghosts were defeated by Burlington, is the Devils’ pitcher. She is one of the best pitchers in the state and the reason almost all the Ghosts’ batters struck out. The pitcher is the main cause of the Ghosts’ brutal defeat.

You can see the next game on Wednesday May 8 at 4:00pm against Lincoln-Sudbury at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School.

About the Contributors
Heather Vaughan, Staff Writer

My name is Heather Vaughan and I am a freshman at Westford Academy. I like writing, listening to music, and spending time with friends and family. This...

Lyndsay Duato, Staff Writer

My name is Lyndsay Duato. I am a freshman at Westford Academy. I like writing, drawing, and spending time with my family and friends. I hope to become...