It’s a Family Affair: Beningsons Discuss Benefits to Relationship

By Neil Sharma

Nathan Beningson is the son of David Beningson, the physics and engineering teacher. This year Nathan Beningson is attending WA as a freshman. Now both father and son attend the school as teacher and student.

David Beningson thinks that is a good thing that his son, Nathan, is attending the school.

“Well, it’s pretty fun, I don’t get to see him very much during the day. We get to drive in the morning together during the day. We pretty much just ignore each other in the hall because I don’t want to get embarrassed by him, and he doesn’t want to get embarrassed by me. But then I see him at the end of the day, and he comes by at the end of the day so that’s good,” David Beningson said.
Nathan also liked going to the same place where his father went for work. He thinks that it is good for transportation seeing how he and his father go to the same place.

“It’s not that bad [having his father teach at the school]. Occasionally random upperclassmen come to me, and mention something about my dad being a teacher. Other than that though, it’s no that bad. I get a place to stay after school and transportation. It’s pretty easy so far,” Nathan Beningson said.

Because his father is a teacher, Nathan could have his father ask his teachers how he was doing in class. But, that would give him an unfair advantage over some of the students who attend the school and don’t have parents as teachers.

“No, in fact I didn’t do that at all [ask his son’s teacher about how he was doing]. It took a couple teachers to figure out he was my son. When school started I didn’t want to get involved, I figured let him start like everyone else, unless there is problem, but you know then I would talk to him as a parent not a teacher,” David Beningson said.

Nathan agreed with what his father said and thinks that his dad is doing a good job by not interfering with his teachers.

“I think it’s good that it is sort of separate, I mean then the teacher doesn’t have the pressure to treat me differently,” Nathan Beningson.

Now that they both go to the same place in the morning it has made the schedule easier on both Nathan Beningson and his father.

“It’s easy in the morning because he just gets in the car with me, and we come to school just like I normally would. On the way home I sometimes had to wait for him to be done after soccer practice, and I would have go home and come back, and that’s kind of a pain. Or sometimes he is done just a little after, so I have to wait for him to be done. But it doesn’t change things that much,” David Beningson said.

Nathan feels a similar way.

He says, “It’s not really that different, in the beginning because I still have to wake up at the same time in the morning, I still have to get school. I do have some time at school before the school starts because he [David Beningson] has to be here. But otherwise it is not that bad.”

Even though they don’t try to acknowledge each other in the hall way in public, but they do have their own little way of acknowledging each other.

“Well it’s more like we will see each other, and then we will pretend to not make eye contact. It’s sort of more like a mental greeting. Like we will sort of look away but we know we are there,” Nathan Beningson said.

“It’s like I’m pretending to ignore them but he knows that I’m pretending to ignore him. So it works out it is like our little joke. We don’t really see each other that often, there is only block I see him,” David Beningson said.

When asked if Nathan is interested in what his father teaches, he said that he does have a little bit of interest in what his father teaches.

“Well science and math are some of my favorite subjects, and what I’ve seen of physics it looks somewhat interesting. And I do like to build things, and he teaches engineering, and I sort of am interested,” Nathan said.

Though they do go to the same place now, they don’t feel like their relationship has gotten any closer. This is because they said that they have gotten along pretty well even before coming to the school.