WA Pride Gives Back

by Darcy Gervais

WA PRIDE is an organization at Westford Academy that facilitates organized opportunities for WA students to give back to the community. It allows students to work with various town organizations and help out with different school communities as well as senior and community centers. The activities that WA pride is involved in really make a difference in the lives of local residents and their facilities.

“I like to think that a student’s involvement in WA PRIDE would have a beneficial effect on their overall experience here at WA. We strive, throughout our learning community, to foster a belief of ‘giving back’ – I think this ties in with the theme of ‘education of the whole person’,” advisor and english teacher Chris Gosselin said.

The students involved volunteer with several different organizations. From mentoring elementary school students at the Crisafulli, to assisting senior citizens in their homes at the Cameron Senior Center, there are no lack of community related things to get involved with.

WA PRIDE is not necessarily a club that holds “meetings” but rather, students are off doing different things every day of the week, depending on which organization they are committed to.

When asked about whether or not he sees WA PRIDE growing or becoming more popular among students, Gosselin said: “WA PRIDE continues to grow each year. One goal I have is to start to collaborate more with other teachers to incorporate aspects of service learning into the curriculum. Stay tuned!”