Cherish your time

Ben Walker, Co-Editor-in-Chief

As I sit here thinking about what I want to tell high schoolers about what they should do by the end of high school or take away from their experiences, I cannot help but tell kids one important thing: take advantage of your time and cherish your time at WA.

I remember walking into WA on my first day of high school with a brand new backpack, new clothes, and a thirst for a new school experience. We students, the now Class of 2018 filed into the PAC and watched a slideshow of current and past high schoolers at WA having a good time together. I remember being told by everyone to enjoy my time here because it is going to go fast.

Yeah, okay.

Believe me when I tell you that they are absolutely right. It does go fast, recognize that and do what you want to do before your high school experience ends. Do what you want to do, be friends with who you want to be friends with, and take the classes that you want to take. This is your high school experience, live your life. If you think you want to do something, do it.

High school is a rollercoaster. I know what you’re thinking: What a cliche. It really is, though: I have had so many great days, but plenty of not-so-good days.

There are going to be times where it feels like time has stopped and every minute is an hour and every hour feels like a school day. However, there are also going to be times where you can’t tell the difference between what happened in your sophomore year or your junior year, or what happened last week or a month ago.

There will be long days and there will also be days where you can not believe how fast the day is going.

Within your four years, be sure to give everything your all. Try hard to be social and try hard to do your best academically. It’s cool to try, do not let anyone ever tell you otherwise. No matter what you want to do after you graduate, whether you want to go to college, get a job, or join the military, set yourself up to be as successful as possible. You won’t regret it.

I have one departing piece of advice about your time in high school.

Try not to worry about what people think. If there is one thing I wish I could change about how I approached high school, it would be to walk around less worried about what people think.

So, upcoming and current high school students, I urge you. Join that club. Try out for that team. Wear those clothes. Take that class. Do what makes you happy.

In the end, you’re going to realize that your time is about to come to an end. Realize it, and take advantage of your high school days on Patten Road.