Reicela Petravica is ready for WA

Petravica poses for a picture outside of the library.

Kavya Desikan, Social Media Manager

Junior Reicela Petravica is the only Latvian exchange student here at WA, and will be spending an entire year here. Petravica transferred in partnership with the AFS intercultural program, a program used to send students abroad, and chose to apply to the US.

“I chose the States because I wanted to improve my English skills, that’s why I chose a country that would help me improve my speaking skills.” said Petravica.

Reicela has been enamored with America and American culture since her last visit to the US in December.

“I came to New York last year in December. I had a lot of fun and it was then that I was sure that I wanted to study in the US. It was amazing, with all the lights and the snow. I loved it.”

When it comes to Westford Academy, Petravica has only dealt with a little culture shock, as her hometown high school in Saldus is half the size of WA, population-wise. Despite that, she has integrated into the Westford Academy culture as she is a member of International Club and is a cheerleader.

Petravica says she enjoys International Club and the discussions and the activities that they do.

“We talk about the culture of different countries as it is all exchange students from Italy and Germany. We get along well together and now we are making a rocking chair.”

Outside of WA, Petravica is getting along with her host family, the Flanagans, and is getting to know them while exploring Massachusetts.

“They are so nice and kind, I am very grateful they are my host family because we are getting along very well together. [Because of this] I am not feeling so sad about home and feeling homesick, despite the time difference,” she said.

By the end of the year, Petravica hopes to improve her English and challenge herself.

“I want to change myself and try new things I haven’t done before,” she said.