Senior off to Australia

By Andrew Friel

Ayyagary outside the school near the student lot

For many students, studying abroad is a dream that is quite difficult for most students to achieve for a myriad of reasons, whether it be time, money, or a different factor. However, a unique opportunity has come about for Westford Academy senior Sameera Ayyagary, who is set to return to her birth country of Australia for college following graduation from WA.

Ayyagary will be studying psychology at the University of Sydney in Sydney, Australia. She would also like to attend the medical school there and possibly pursue a career in the field as well.

“I want to become a surgeon, ideally, but I’m also open to other options because medical school [lasts] a really long time and then there is also residency and other things to do, so I’d like to do surgery, but I’m open to other options,” said Ayyagary.

If she were to go into surgery, Ayyagary is interested in being either a heart surgeon or a neurosurgeon.

Ayyagary was born in Brisbane, Australia and left when she was about three or four years old, but her parents had lived for six years in the nation, and became rather familiar with the country.

Ayyagary was eventually encouraged by her cousin to apply to the college and she decided to give it a try. When applying to the University of Sydney, Ayyagary told the university that she had been born in Australia but that she had completed her schooling in the United States. The university let her know that she would receive a full scholarship, an automatic admission to the school’s medical school, and an unlimited access to all on campus features. She decided to choose the University of Sydney for college and withdrew her other applications.

“I feel like [going to college abroad] makes someone really independent. My parents say I’m a really independent person, but I feel like going to college abroad really forces you to reflect on yourself, your experiences, and what you want from life,” said Ayyagary.

Ayyagary also noted that she was scared and was not interested in applying at first.

“To be honest with you, I was scared. I didn’t think I’d want to go there. My mom said ‘You know, you should look into applying to Australia’, in eighth grade. […] In senior year, I realized maybe this was something I wanted to consider,” said Ayyagary.

The differences of the college systems in Australia and the United States will also be another challenge for Ayyagary.

These differences provide challenges because students who grow up in one area of Australia generally go to college in that same area, whereas the United States encourages their students to go to college in any area of the world.

Also, students do not generally live on campus in Australia. Ayyagary will be staying in guaranteed housing from the university.

Some classes Ayyagary enjoyed included AP Chemistry, Psychology, and Spanish.

“Its really fun to watch [Spanish movies], get immersed in the culture,” said Ayyagary.

Other outside of school education that Ayyagary has engaged in includes classes at MIT, studying Arabic, and is captain of the high school quiz show club to further her studies.

Her Non educational activities include fencing, which she had to quit because of family reasons, accapella music, which she hopes to do in college, as well as art and literature.

Ayyagary is excited about study abroad options and the drama society at the university.

Also, she is nervous about being so far away from home, as well as being an essential foreign student to the college and she is worried about not being able to see any friends on weekends.

To combat these worrisome feelings, Ayyagary has a support group at home and in Australia to help her and even house her during any tough times.

“We have some cousins who live in Sydney. My cousin, she studied in the University of Sydney. […] We also have some really close family friends and we’ve known them since my parents moved from Australia. […] My parents said, ‘You know, anytime you need us, just call and we’ll come, even if its a long flight,” said Ayyagary.

Finally, Ayyagary hopes to get a role in a play at the drama society at the university despite her stage fright, as well as making a few friends, getting good grades, and do an honors year in Australia.