Cleaning the environment with Mrs. Oelerich

By Andy Dunn & Brian Prato
Staff Writers

The Environmental Club is back at Westford Academy, and with a new leader in charge of it. Meghan Oelerich, an English teacher at Westford Academy, is the new head of the club after Mr. Colson stepped down after being the club leader for the previous three years. Under Oelerich, he club has many new and innovative ways they are planning on impacting the environment.

The club will meet every other Tuesday and its next meeting is will be on October 12. At its initial meeting their were 16 members and Oelerich is hoping to have around ten weekly members in the club. Oelerich says, “[The environment] is an important aspect to our life that we need to draw more attention to how we can live cleaner and do things we wouldn’t normally do but do them for the better of the environment.”

The club has many activities and projects planned for the next few weeks, including counting how many carpool to and from Westford Academy. One member of the club even suggested, says Oelerich, “The idea trash treasure. She [a club member] works at Jo-Ann Fabrics where they throw a lot of stuff away that can be used to create something new and we might use that to create some art we can sell and use that to help the environment”

Oelerich says on why she wants to lead the club, “I thought it was a good chance for me to give kids something positive to do and also help the world at the same time.” The club is still in the opening stages so anyone can feel free to drop by and see what the club in action.

We really want to produce something by the end of the year. We want to come up with a way to, again,  be involved in a positive way for the school as a whole to be able to see that’s what the Environmental Club did,” Oelerich says.

View Comments (1)