WA dismisses unsuccessful teachers

By Lauren Cullen & Kathleen McAleese
Managing Editors

This year, something out of the ordinary occurred in the realm of Westford Academy teaching. So far, two teachers have been relieved of their duties before the middle of the year. These teachers include part time Latin teacher Sherley Blood-Thom and physics teacher James Devine.

These teachers have now been replaced by new teachers Chris Cothran and Robert Ricardelli, teaching Latin and physics respectively. Other physics teachers such as Tim Burns and Bill Bowen must now teach an extra class on top of their original classes to aid Ricardelli.

Of course, this out of the ordinary situation sparked some unease with both students and administration.

Foreign Language Department Head Amy Moran said that throughout her career at WA, she has had to let go only two teachers. During Science Department Head Bill Bobrowsky’s time teaching, he has not had to let any go any until this year.

“I think it is more positive to make a change during the course of the rather than to allow the situation to continue for the entire year,” said Moran. “It is more positive to let the teacher go and find a new teacher who can meet our expectations.”

Moran said that after something like this happens, her first responsibility is to the students. When a teacher is let go, other teachers of the same language help the replacement teacher, and work with the students to make sure they know what they are supposed to.

“We try to make sure there aren’t any holes [in the students’ learning],” she said.

Principal James Antonelli shares a similar point of view with Moran when it comes to the protection of the student’s academic experience.

“My biggest concern and primary job first and foremost,” said Antonelli, “is the education of my students and I will not compromise that.”

To help bridge the gaps in the students’ learning, Moran brought in a retired substitute Latin teacher, Jeremiah Mead, who taught Latin at Concord-Carlisle High School. Mead was set to teach for three and a half weeks until there was a new teacher hired.

Similar to what Moran did, Bobrowsky had retired WA Physics teacher Ricardelli come back to teach Devine’s classes. Currently, Ricardelli is teaching one class, and Physics teachers Bowen and Burns are teaching one class each, adding to their regular class load.

With these recent changes in the teaching staff at WA, there are significant effects on students.

“I think it’s difficult for students because they, and everybody, like continuity. They find comfort in seeing the same person when they walk into class every day,” said Bobrowsky.

Although there are effects on students as a whole, Bobrowsky feels that WA does a good job selecting candidates for teaching positions and thinks that every teacher who comes to WA is a good candidate.

All candidates go through an intensive process, starting with an interview with a board of teachers, the curriculum coordinator, students, and parents, followed by an interview with Antonelli. After a consensus is reached and references are checked, the candidate is interviewed by Superintendent Bill Olsen.

No matter how intensive the hiring process is, some slipups occur and the perfect candidate is not always available, so the best person available is taken.

“Sometimes its not [avoidable] because you believe that you are hiring the best person,” said Antonelli.

On a similar note, Bobrowski continued to explain this issue.

“Every once in a while you get someone who is not a perfect fit, and then every once in a while you get someone who is not a fit at all,” Bobrowski said.

When it comes to the hiring of new teachers, Antonelli acknowledges the bumpy beginning of the year, but does not allow for the pool of potential candidates to lack any togetherness when it comes to their enthusiasm about teaching.

“You try to be transparent. You want folks to understand that we’ve had a tough start to the school year. This is what you are walking into. If you aren’t prepared then don’t do it…This is the table that’s set. Can you come in and work with these students?” said Antonelli.

Looking back, Moran said that maybe she should have waited another week before hiring Blood-Thom. However, there were only four candidates who applied for the job. This may be due to the lower paying salary Westford has compared to other towns in Massachusetts, and how this particular position is part time with a rotating schedule, lending itself to be not the most desirable position for a new teacher seeking a job.

“I don’t think anyone goes into it thinking they made a wrong choice for a candidate, sometimes people present themselves one way in a interview, and they don’t have the skills in the classroom,” Moran said.

Please excuse our error; Timothy Knittle is also teaching a Physics class along with Tim Burns and Bill Bowen.