Lunch price raise causes confusion among students

The recent price changes have impacted K-12 lunch across the education spectrum.

By Andy Dunn

Lunch prices have been increased for the upcoming 2013-14 school year for the entire Westford school system.

Generally, prices have gone up fifty cents for main lunches at all the schools. At WA, the normal student lunch and pasta bar are now $3.00, the daily specials have been raised to $3.25, and one slice of pizza is $2.00.

Student reaction to the increase is mixed. Their opinions range from feelings of apathy to pure outrage.

Senior Nate Merrell commented on how the price change has forced him to alter his daily routine he has held for the last three years of bringing $5.00 for lunch. Merrell said, “Today, I came to school with a $5 bill in my pocket. I came into the lunchroom and went to buy my lunch. I was handed $1.75 back. I could have, last year, bought another lunch with that. But this year I cannot, so I am leaving lunch hungry.”

Senior Nick Mariano said, “I am outraged. You would think that with a $0.50 raise in price you would get $0.50 more in quality. This is ridiculous.”

One key concept that continued to show up when talking to students was the lack of clarity regarding to why there was an increase. The Westford Director of Food Service Colleen Wallace elucidates the reasons behind the change, saying the price increase stems from multiple reasons.

These factors include “food service losing $128,000 last year” due to “a decrease in student participation and fallout from storage issues from a few years back.”  Wallace confirms the storage issues are now resolved and food is now stored off-site instead of in the infamous “barn” that drew bad press a few years ago.

Additionally to previous financial problems, Wallace adds that, “the USDA regulations have changed considerably. The quantity of fruits and vegetables that must be part of a student meal have increased in portion size and frequency on the menu.”

Food prices have not been raised for Westford schools in the last four years, while food costs traditionally go up 7% a year for supermarkets.

“We are trying to work to make the menu more appetizing and creative. We are trying to get away from more processed foods. Use fresh, locally grown vegetables. But all of that comes with a price. It is what everyone wants to see and what we want to do, but it all comes with a price.”

Wallace does not anticipate any increase in the free and reduced lunch program, which averages under 200 applications per year.

While a $0.50 increase may seem innocent enough, the financial effects on a Westford family could prove to be significant. Consider a hypothetical family with four children going through the system, eating school lunch regularly. This new increase would cost a family like this approximately $360 extra each school year and over $4250 for an entire education in the Westford system.

Look for the potential for phone apps in the future, which will allow students to pay for lunches and items with their phone. Also, Wallace is looking into implementing the usage of vending machines using cell phones. The implementation of the electronic system has been successful by leading to more efficient lunch lines and striking down on students who use other student’s lunch tickets.

As for the future of the snack bar, the USDA considers these foods “competitive” to the normal lunches and have stricken the snacks with multiple restrictions including “low sodium” and “whole-grain” requirements. Wallace is working to establish the ideal balance between “healthy yet tasty snacks.” Wallace said that prices have not changed for snack bar items, and future changes, if they happen, would be “very insignificant.”

In the future, look for more lunches with vegetables incorporated into the meal rather than being on the side, like casseroles and chicken pot pie. Wallace also has put an emphasis on themed lunches, such as Mardi Gras and Thanksgiving, and the idea of “Taste Test Tuesdays.” These Tuesdays would allow students to try unfamiliar and exotic new foods for free.