Volleyball strikes down Cancer

Volleyball coach Maria Henderson

By John Devereaux

On Friday, October 26th, there was a volleyball game which helped raise money for cancer. This event was called Coaches vs. Cancer. Both the Junior Varsity and Varsity volleyball teams won against their rivals Acton-Boxborough.

JV girls’ volleyball team had an enjoyable time beating AB. They also won the second set by 5. The WA team then struggled in the third and fourth sets, losing both of them. This caused them to force a set 5.

The Varsity team ended up winning the fifth set, for a win. This win improves their record to 15-5.

The Co-captains Amanda Brooks and Casey Doremus showed why they were the captains by playing their hearts out. While Doremus played a terrific defense, Brooks found her opportunity to score.

The players and coaches weren’t the only participants in the event. They held a halftime game where two fans from each bleacher played against each other for two t-shirts. The fans also had a huge part in the win versus AB with their cheering. This fan base was lead by senior Danny Cerullo and his group of friends.

Varsity volleyball coach Maria Henderson said that she didn’t know what to expect for the outcome of the event. She was happy that the event went well, and she thanks the crowd from WA and AB for their support.

She was not shocked by the income made, and that she really wasn’t surprised or disappointed. The total amount funded during this event was a gross of 700 dollars.  The goal was to fund money to help cancer patients.

Henderson said that she was pleased with all the effort the fans and players gave towards the event. The money raised by the event will go to cancer charities. Henderson said the event was very successful, and that she’ll definitely do it again.