Mrs. Ralls teaching closer to home

Mrs.Ralls grew up in Chelmsford and moved back to the area to teach History at Westord Academy.

By Ellie Smith
News Writer

Kathleen Ralls is a new teacher in the social studies department for this year.

Q: Why did you decide to work at Westford Academy?

A: I grew up in Chelmsford and I haven’t lived in the area in over a decade, so it is nice to be closer to home. When the position opened up, I talked to some friends who have taught here and they said that they loved the school.

Q: What made you want to become a teacher?

A: I used to be a sports writer for the Lowell Sun. I always wanted to be a teacher because my mom is too. I started to be a substitute teacher in Lowell and I loved it. So, I then decided that I should get involved and teach.

Q: What made you decide to teach history?

A: I love to travel. It is one of my favorite pastimes along with sports. I really like listening to stories that other people tell. The stories are the most interesting part of history.

Q: What made you want to teach high school as opposed to middle or elementary school?

A: I taught at a middle school before and I also was a substitute for kindergarten through twelfth grade. I’ve had the opportunity to try them all out. I’d love the opportunity to see the high school students start to follow a career path.

Q: What do you like to do outside of teaching?

A: I coach Chelmsford High field hockey. I also coached indoor and outdoor track. I’m married and I have a lot of family and friends in the area. We are all learning to reconnect in a lot of ways. I also enjoy traveling.

Q: Where would you like to travel?

A: I’d love to travel everywhere!

Q: Do you have any personal goals that you would like accomplish this year?

A: My first goal is just get myself acquainted with the school. Every school is a new environment and a new community. I want to learn new ways to become a better teacher.

Q: How does Westford Academy compare to other schools that you have taught at?

A: I have taught at a lot of different schools in Maryland, Virginia, Lowell, and North Hampton. This school reminds me of my own high school experience and it is comforting to know where the students are coming from. I also love the school spirit that this school has.

Q: Have you experienced any life changing moments throughout your life that influenced your decision to become a teacher?

A: My mother has been teaching since 1969 and she is still teaching in Lowell in a middle school.  She has really influenced my decision to become a teacher. When I was five or ten years old, I knew that this was what I wanted to be as an adult.