WASN’s Dynamic Duo: Healy and Sullivan

By Alexander Lee
Editor-In-Chief

Justin Healy and Matt Sullivan: WA’s unofficial Dynamic Duo

WA Sports is back and better than ever.

Seniors Justin Healy and Matt Sullivan, also known as Rusty Justy and The Big City Kitty, also known as The Dirt Dog and The Big American Sexy, are this year’s sportscasters for Westford Academy Sports Network (WASN).

The duo, who have been good friends since kindergarten, broadcast their first show in mid-September and have had eleven additional shows since then.

Healy and Sullivan volunteered to do sports because they wanted to improve the show from previous years. They thought that in the last couple years, the quality of Sports had somewhat declined. Thus, together, they decided to make Friday morning announcements entertaining again.

“A couple years ago it was pretty good but, we wanted to bring a new dimension to it, and I think so far we’re doing a pretty good job” said Healy.

Many of their changes can already be seen. Along with their frequent inside jokes and use of nicknames, Healy has introduced a new segment: Player of the Week. Every week, the duo will choose an athlete or student who gave some sort of extraordinary performance. All of these winners will receive an official Justin Healy Pocket Print to put into their wallets. Some of the previous winners were Dani Trani, Eric Cajolet, Findley Payne, Jason Jani, and Ryan Mcdonald.

Furthermore, the two have also made regular shout-outs to teachers and students. In fact, they encourage anyone who wants a shout out to approach them.

Through their comedic, laidback style of sportscasting, Healy and Sullivan hope to make a show similar to SNL Weekend Update. Together, the duo strives to create a highly-anticipated, weekly broadcast that all students and teachers will enjoy watching.

Fellow WABC news anchor John Bergin also feels that Sports have improved these past few months.

“Justin and Matt are rays of sunshine on the dreary Friday morning that comes every week. They deliver the sports news like the pitcher throwing a 100 mile an hour curve ball, and throw in some humor as well” he said.

Although the show has thus far had a generally positive reception, Healy and Sullivan promise that future shows will only improve.

“We expect to do some videos and incorporate the stuff that we really like. That’s what you can look forward to on WASN. You haven’t seen the half of it yet; the best is yet to come” they said.